Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
driley
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dennis Riley

Shared storage for Virtual Labs

Post by driley »

Hello,
We are using Virtual Labs to test software upgrades. While ISOs connected via Vsphere have been okay to use, we think it may be more convenient to use some type of shared folders to grab the source for upgrades. Is there anyway to share storage from outside Vlabs to the Vlabs?
Dennis
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Shared storage for Virtual Labs

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Dennis,

What is your Virtual Lab architecture? Do you use proxy appliance or test VMs without it?
From my point of view, it is possible given that you configure SMB/CIFS share for a virtual network, configure this virtual network as a production network for your Virtual Lab, allow inbound/outbound traffic for SMB/CIFS-related ports on your proxy appliance and then configure proxy appliance as a traffic gateway for VMs inside your lab, I think.

Let us know if it worked.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Shared storage for Virtual Labs

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I think this is not that simple and the proxy appliance changes will not stay at any new lab run.

If you storage system allows additional network cards in different subnets/vlans, you can place those additional cards in the vlab networks. If the vlab network is in the same subnet, you can give the network card the same IP address as in production (just works). Otherwise you have to be somehow creative with DNS entries to achive automatic access from virtual lab.