Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Post Reply
Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Liked: 3 times
Joined: Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm
Full Name: Kellen Flood
Contact:

Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by Kellen.Flood » Dec 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Does Veeam work with host named site collection for Sharepoint? Instead of path based?

foggy
Veeam Software
Posts: 18278
Liked: 1564 times
Joined: Jul 11, 2011 10:22 am
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by foggy » Dec 22, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Kellen, yes, there should not be any issues, sites collection implementation is transparent to Veeam Explorer for SharePoint.

Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Liked: 3 times
Joined: Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm
Full Name: Kellen Flood
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by Kellen.Flood » Dec 22, 2017 3:47 pm

@foggy thanks for the quick reply. In regards to a virtual lab for a Sharepoint farm of our size, can we incorporate our physical load balancers. They are F5 if it matters

foggy
Veeam Software
Posts: 18278
Liked: 1564 times
Joined: Jul 11, 2011 10:22 am
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by foggy » Dec 22, 2017 4:33 pm

Could you please elaborate on your question, I'm not sure I fully got it?

Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Liked: 3 times
Joined: Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm
Full Name: Kellen Flood
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by Kellen.Flood » Dec 23, 2017 12:35 am

@foggy. We use f5 physical load balancers to support our Sharepoint infrastructure. If we were to spring this up in the Veeam virtual lab, would we need the load balancers incorporated since we use them in production and the VLAB would be same side when in use.

foggy
Veeam Software
Posts: 18278
Liked: 1564 times
Joined: Jul 11, 2011 10:22 am
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by foggy » Dec 24, 2017 11:40 am

Same size but not same load, right? Or you can verify the infrastructure in parts. To involve physical servers, you would need to connect them to the virtual lab at least temporarily.

Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Liked: 3 times
Joined: Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm
Full Name: Kellen Flood
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by Kellen.Flood » Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm

I know that we did an empty site restore together and that part is ok. When the site is empty and has no custom layout or content type or templates. It may be that I am not correctly doing the process and with your help we can do it successfully. Here is a list of the things I would like more info about.

Content Database Mount limit at 10GB for Trial License. Most of our site collection content databases are above that limit. I am unable to do adequate testing of your product if I cannot mount the content databases. Can I please get the limit removed? Even if for one day it would be enough to see the results.
SharePoint Access Add-in Application displays as a site collection on Veeam console when mounting a content database.
Veeam fails to restore a sites access application add-in correctly. (probably linked to above issue)
Veeam incorrectly tries to restore the Access add-in as a subsite of the site getting restored. (goes together with two above)
Fails to overwrite the tittle of the site getting restored. ( This is because it is mandatory to create the site prior to doing the restore if not Veeam will fail, but never puts original title back)
Upon restore of a site collection no content type get created. This causes failures since everything linked to content type errors out.
Fails to restore almost anything that has not been previously pre-created except for plain document libraries/lists that have no added content types. Ones that do, do not get restored.
Project Server Content Database fails to mount with Incompatible error.
Failed to restore site theme.
Failed to restore page layout
Fails to restore a document library that was originally created by a user who is no longer in Active Directory.
Cannot restore outside of original site collection or farm. (sometimes I may want to restore to a copy location or DEV location to ask user to double check files and site prior to restore on prod)
Veeam took over 5 hours to restore 1.3GB content database. That seems slow, is it normal?

foggy
Veeam Software
Posts: 18278
Liked: 1564 times
Joined: Jul 11, 2011 10:22 am
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by foggy » Jan 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Kellen.Flood wrote:Content Database Mount limit at 10GB for Trial License.
It is not a limitation of the trial version, but of SQL Server Express that comes with Veeam B&R. You can point it to another SQL Server installation as a workaround.
Kellen.Flood wrote:SharePoint Access Add-in Application displays as a site collection on Veeam console when mounting a content database.
Veeam fails to restore a sites access application add-in correctly. (probably linked to above issue)
Veeam incorrectly tries to restore the Access add-in as a subsite of the site getting restored. (goes together with two above)
SharePoint Access Add-in is not supported, as far as I recall.
Kellen.Flood wrote:Fails to overwrite the tittle of the site getting restored. ( This is because it is mandatory to create the site prior to doing the restore if not Veeam will fail, but never puts original title back)
This maybe a bug, we will check this internally.
Kellen.Flood wrote:Upon restore of a site collection no content type get created. This causes failures since everything linked to content type errors out.
Fails to restore almost anything that has not been previously pre-created except for plain document libraries/lists that have no added content types. Ones that do, do not get restored.
Project Server Content Database fails to mount with Incompatible error.
For these we need more information, so opening a case with technical support and providing logs for review is recommended.
Kellen.Flood wrote:Failed to restore site theme.
Failed to restore page layout
These are the current limitations of Veeam Explorer for SharePoint.
Kellen.Flood wrote:Fails to restore a document library that was originally created by a user who is no longer in Active Directory.
Will check this internally.
Kellen.Flood wrote:Cannot restore outside of original site collection or farm. (sometimes I may want to restore to a copy location or DEV location to ask user to double check files and site prior to restore on prod)
Please open a case.
Kellen.Flood wrote:Veeam took over 5 hours to restore 1.3GB content database. That seems slow, is it normal?
Yes,this is inline with what we typically see in terms of performance.

Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Liked: 3 times
Joined: Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm
Full Name: Kellen Flood
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by Kellen.Flood » Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm

@foggy

Now if we did a traditional restore or inatant vm recovery should it properly restore site theme and page layout?

foggy
Veeam Software
Posts: 18278
Liked: 1564 times
Joined: Jul 11, 2011 10:22 am
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson
Contact:

Re: Sharepoint host named site collection

Post by foggy » Jan 19, 2018 11:09 am

These types of recovery restore the entire VM, so you will get it to the state it was at the moment of backup.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests