Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Archipelego
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jon Kilner

Slow Replication

Post by Archipelego »

Good afternoon all,

I'm pretty new to Veeam and am trying to troubleshoot Replications running Slow but backups running quicker.

We have the following VMWare 6.5 setup :

3 production hosts connected to a Compellant SAN via SAS Cables, 1 QNAP NAS and 1 DR host connected to a Equallogic SAN via iSCSI.

The production hosts are connected to our core network at 10GB. We have 10GB links to the QNAP NAS and 10GB to the DR host. The DR host has Dell's MPIO software installed then has 2 x 1Gb connections to an iSCSI switches and the DR SAN has 4 x 1Gb into the iSCSI switches.

We have Veeam installed on a VM on our DR host and a Veeam Proxy configured on a VM in our production environment. All settings on the proxy are setup as automatic select.

What I'm noticing is the first replication of a VM runs with a processing rate of approx 80MB/s. However, subsequent replicas run much slow at 4 MB/s. All replication jobs show the Target as being the bottlenect at 99%.

Backups run slightly quicker, but not great, at approx 20MB/s with target as the bottleneck at 82%.

Looking at the detailed report for each VM, I can see that CBT for each VM HDD is at least half the speed on the Replication jobs than it is on the backups Jobs.

Any advice on how I can troubleshoot this would be gratefully received.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Slow Replication

Post by foggy »

Hi Jon, which particular proxy server is being selected on target during replication and what transport mode it is using? You can see this information in the job stats window.