Slow VM restore speeds from QNAP

VMware specific discussions

Re: Slow VM restore speeds from QNAP

Veeam Logoby jonc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:15 am

I went for a local drive in Windows pointing to iSCSI storage within the Backup VM. Backups speeds have improved a lot, reaching some 160MB/s. A full 60GB VM restore from this backup to an SSD Volume still goes at around 10-20MB/s and I can't wrap my head around this. Logs show that it's using hotadd for both backup and restore...
jonc
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby agrob » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 am

Interessting Post @dellock6. i added an nfs datastore and tried a restore to this store... but because we have 1gbit nics and as far as i have seen data transfer from esx host to nfs runs over vmotion/management nics which are limited, i cant reach more speed i think... so if i have a fc storage which performs (with vmotion testet) several 100MB/s it can slow down restore process to 70MB/s because of the metadata "overload"? Is there no other way to speed things up with restoring to vmfs filesystem stores?
agrob
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andre

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:28 pm

We usually suggest to have at least one virtual proxy in order to leverage hotadd mode exactly for these reasons, the ESXi host is faster than VDDK when writing to VMFSand hotadd uses the ESXi stack to do the writes. Obviously if the VM network is also at 1GB, the final speed will never exceed 125 MBs, but it's already an improvement compared to network mode or VMFS direct writes.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby agrob » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 am

Thanks Luca. But i never get over 60-70MB/s even with proxy in hottadd mode. it also slows down to about 12MB/s (proxy with hotadd) if i restore to a vmfs datastore (san fc storage) which has odther vm's on it...
agrob
Enthusiast

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andre

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere