Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Small Deployment

Post by karlochacon »

hi guys

this will be my first time instaling Veeam. I have 2 questions.

1. Is the latest Veeam version compatible with vCenter 5.1.0a released October 25?

2. This a small environment 2 ESXi 5.1 server Main Site - Secondary site onew ESXi server.
about 12 VMs.

I want to be sure if I can handle this environment with only one Veeam backup and replication server? For what I read looks like yes.

My idea is to install Veeam B&R in a VM in the Main site and Add the other ESXi Server as Target so the VMs will be backup in the VMFS datastore that this server will have.
or I need to deploy a Windows VM on that standalone ESXi server to use an SMB? Kind of confused about this

thanks a lot
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Small Deployment

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Carlos,

1. Yes, it is. Please review Veeam B&R 6.5 release notes document (included with your download) for more info.
2. Yes, you will be able to use single installation of Veeam B&R server, where all components are deployed on the same machine. But be aware that ESX(i) server cannot be used as a target for your backup files, only replication jobs can use ESX(i) hosts as targets. If you want to store your backup files on the VMFS volume, then you need to deploy a Windows VM with RDM disk located on the datastore connected to your secondary ESX(i) server. Once you do this, please add this server as a Windows repository to your backup console.

Hope this helps!
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Carlos,

1. Yes, it is. Please review Veeam B&R 6.5 release notes document (included with your download) for more info.
2. Yes, you will be able to use single installation of Veeam B&R server, where all components are deployed on the same machine. But be aware that ESX(i) server cannot be used as a target for your backup files, only replication jobs can use ESX(i) hosts as targets. If you want to store your backup files on the VMFS volume, then you need to deploy a Windows VM with RDM disk located on the datastore connected to your secondary ESX(i) server. Once you do this, please add this server as a Windows repository to your backup console.

Hope this helps!

thanks a lot

so basically,

For replication jobs I can use my ESXi server but If I need to backup VMs I will need to at least install one Windows VM as a SMB or RDM disk right?

so that means using both I mean ESXi and a Windows VM I can have backup and replication
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Correct. Backup jobs should be targeted to repositories while replication jobs can be pointed to ESX(i) hosts/clusters.
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Correct. Backup jobs should be targeted to repositories while replication jobs can be pointed to ESX(i) hosts/clusters.

well thanks a lot now I need to talk to my customer to find out what he wants backups / replication or both....since storage is kinda constraint here
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

I would recommend doing both, backups to local storage (for FLR operations) and replication of the most critical VMs to the secondary ESX(i) server.
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

Vitaliy S. wrote:I would recommend doing both, backups to local storage (for FLR operations) and replication of the most critical VMs to the secondary ESX(i) server.
you mean backup in Main Site (in a Windows SMB) and Replication to secondary site?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Yes, this will protect you from losing the entire production site and will give you an ability to quickly restore guest files without touching VM replicas.