Snapshot removal issues of a large VM

VMware specific discussions

Re: Snapshot removal issues of a large VM

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:22 pm

You can test whether more frequent backups will allow to avoid this. You can just test manual snapshot creation using vSphere Client, even without running Veeam B&R backup job, it should produce similar behavior.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] VM lost connection while removing VM snapshot.

Veeam Logoby JosueM » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 pm

Good day everyone.

We have a SQL application server that was moved to SSD drives to improve performance and overall the new storage runs great. The problem is if we run a backup in working hours the app server stop responding for a few seconds and users gets kicked off . This happen must of the time when the job does remove the temporary snapshot, sometimes happens when it creates the snapshots but is rare.

We toguht that moving the server to SSD drives would solve the issue but still happens, is there any other way to backup the information during the work hours without quitting the users?

Thanks in advance.
JosueM
Expert

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Re: VM lost connection while removing VM snapshot.

Veeam Logoby PTide » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:30 am

Hi,

Such thing may happen when you backup a VM that has a highly transactional on it. Have you considered using Transaction Log backup during the day instead of doing a VM backup? During that procedure no snapshots are taken thus the connection should be fine.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 246 times

Veeam Logoby JosueM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:22 pm

hello PTide,

Transaction Log seems a good option to backup, the major issue I see is restoring this VM would take abour 6 from plain backup, will have to measure the time adding the tlog restore. Since this in the main app server we would like to have it up and running as soon as possible.

Do you know if the tlog backup works somehow with replica?
JosueM
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Transaction logs backup is not available in replication jobs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby JosueM » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:16 pm

So basically, for most of the app servers (SQL) (thats about 80% of the workload), we will have figure out another way to backup transactionals VMs instead of using veeam like SQL backup and restore?

It seems this is apretty common problem and it has been here for a long time , I wonder how difficult could be for vmware to solve the issue.
JosueM
Expert

Veeam Logoby randerson999 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm late to this party, but same issues here - doesn't matter if it's a large VM or small, during the snapshot creation AND removal, we lose a few packets. Nothing like what a lot of other people are experiencing here (ie. minutes to hours of being offline), but we do lose a few packets here and there due to the VM being "stunned". This happens with our largest and smallest VMs - we lose a few packets, which causes any remote connections to the VM in question to fail (such as SQL connections for SAP processes running from remote App servers), resulting in program dumps. As there is not technically a time-out (rather, a broken network connection), SAP doesn't have a suitable workaround for the problem.

My question is, what is causing the stun on the VM? Is it lack of IO based on VM size? If that was the case, why does even the smallest VM have the same issues (tested during a slow time when all systems are basically idle)? Nothing on our storage or vm infrastructure side indicates a lack of IOPs available, so what is actually causing the VM to be stunned?

I've read through this thread (and many, many others) but I don't know that I've seen an actual ROOT cause for the majority of the issues, other than the not-enough-IO-available conclusion.

BTW - we're on the latest version of Veeam and have vSphere 5.5 U2.
randerson999
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Ross Anderson

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi Ross,

The actual root cause is the way how VM snapshots are committed in vSphere. Here is a good blog post from Luca for further reading > http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/vsph ... hing-past/

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1103 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] snapshot removal takes long time

Veeam Logoby sajid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:00 am

Hi Team,

We have Veeam 9.0 version in production and we are facing issue with related to snapshot removal issue it taking more than 8 hours and each replication job complete approx 14 hours to complete

Current infra is Vmware 6.0 U2.

Please suggest on this.
sajid
Lurker

Full Name: Sajid Attar

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:13 am

Your post has been merged into existing discussion. Kindly, check answers provided above. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 969 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: [MERGED] snapshot removal takes long time

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 pm

sajid wrote:We have Veeam 9.0 version in production and we are facing issue with related to snapshot removal issue it taking more than 8 hours and each replication job complete approx 14 hours to complete

Current infra is Vmware 6.0 U2.

Not really enough information.
How big is the VM that takes 8hrs to consolidate?
What is the VM doing (change rate) during the backup/replication task?
What's the network speed between source and destination?
Is it much quicker when you replicate from your primary backup rather than the live VM?
What does your SAN/Datastore monitoring tools tell you during this process?
How many other VMs are on the datastore and are they also busy?
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Mark

[MERGED] Replication job and removing snapshot too long

Veeam Logoby KeiichiKun » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to move a vm from a cluster to another cluster using a replication job to minimize downtime.
After first backup, the subsequent jobs (run manually due to the problem I'm writing about) take about 10 minutes to synchronize but removing snapshot is too long..
My VM has 3 disk for 600Gb total and removing snapshot after 3 hours is at 54%, it will take 7 to 8 hours to complete; every snapshot is about 80 Gb (3 restore points keep).
The VM is on SSD/10k rpm disk on dell compellent with auto tiering.
Do you think this is a normal? I don't think so, I'm opening a support to Dell if you can confirm that.
Thanks!
- aka Orso Bianco -
KeiichiKun
Influencer

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 am

Even though your VM is not large, the symptoms experienced are quite similar to those described in this thread. So, kindly, familiarize yourself with answers above.

As a first investigation step, you can try to reproduce the issue without VB&R being present in equation - take a snapshot manually, keep it long enough (the time similar to the one replication job takes), delete it and the whether problem re-appears.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 969 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] VM unresponsive during removing /consolidating snap

Veeam Logoby shlomia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 am

Hi,
So only one of my VM, which is a DB server, seems to be unresponsive while vsphere is finishing the backup and trying to remove the snapshot.
He become unresponsive for few minutes, and we cannot connect to him.
also the monitor warning us that he is down.

I'm running ESXI 5.5 and I came up with this patch :
https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=2096282

I checked my ESXI's and they do not have this update installed.
I'm just scared to manually update, because it says that impact will be a reboot.
Although I have vsphere HA, do I need to scare to do any reboot to the esxi's?
Also, anyone installed this patch and fixed the problem?

thank you
shlomia
Novice

Full Name: Shlomi

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon May 01, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Shlomi,

I cannot comment whether this patch can resolve your issues or not, but you may want to review the last pages of this topic for some tips on how to resolve this behavior.

Do you have VM HA or Cluster HA feature enabled? You can try install this patch via VUM again and see if manual installation is required or not.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1103 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere