Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
m_taylor
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Taylor

SQL Backups are not allowing point in time recovery

Post by m_taylor »

CaseId: 01714182

Currently evaluating VEEAM 9.0 for purchase. We have been backing up our test/dev SQL server (which is part of a SQL AlwaysOn Cluster) successfully as an Application Aware backup. However, when we test the restore, we are not presented with the option to restore to a specific point in time. Also, in the SQL Explorer window, when highlighting a database to restore, the information next to "Available Restore Period" says "not available". Seem to be having an issue of backing up the transaction logs, although I cant see where it is failing. In the backup job we have "process transaction logs with this job". We are using guest OS credentials that also has the sysadmin role on the SQL server.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
m_taylor
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Taylor

Re: SQL Backups are not allowing point in time recovery

Post by m_taylor » 1 person likes this post

I misunderstood the selections in the job. I just selected "Truncate logs" expecting VEEAM backup to allow me to restore to a point in time. I have now read this article suggesting I need to choose the option - back up the logs periodically.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyp ... ation.html

I will post back the results of my next test, and close the topic if successful.