Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
toa1970
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Torben Andersen

SQL database - restore

Post by toa1970 »

Hi,

I'm new to Veeam........

Veeam backup version: 9.5.0.1536

Setup:

A SQL database file, physical size on harddrive 100GB (test.mdf)
A SQL database log file, physical size on harddrive 200GB (test_log.ldf)

If I take a backup in SQL Management Studio, the .bak file size is 20GB

Question:
If I restore the database to another location from Veeam, how much space do I need for database and log file?

Question:
I'm now asked to restore the database AND overwrite the existing database. Is that possible from Veeam? What if 3 users are still connected to the database? Can I from Veeam 'take ownership' and
restore.....what if I MUST restore NOW? Do I need to run any SQL commands before restore?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: SQL database - restore

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Question:
If I restore the database to another location from Veeam, how much space do I need for database and log file?
This one is not clear - are you asking how much space will it take as a Veeam backup, or how much space will the database take once restored from Veeam backup?

Question:
I'm now asked to restore the database AND overwrite the existing database. Is that possible from Veeam? What if 3 users are still connected to the database? Can I from Veeam 'take ownership' and
restore.....what if I MUST restore NOW? Do I need to run any SQL commands before restore?
Generally speaking, yes, you can restore and overwrite the existing database. There are several methods to do so, please check this page for information.
You don't need it to issue any additional commands, however, I would recommend to warn the users before performing restore:

1. It just some sort of a civility - to let someone working with the database know that whatever they are working with is about to sink into oblivion.
2. Depending on the application settings, it might try to commit pending changes that had been made by users before you restored the DB, which might lead to unpleasant results.

P.S. Also, depending on the situation, you probably might want to run another backup before rolling the production database back.

Thanks!
toa1970
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Torben Andersen

Post by toa1970 »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for input.

Regarding question 1- how much space will the database take once restored from Veeam backup?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

In normal circumstances, a successfully restored database (and pretty much any object) takes exactly the same size as it had during the backup. Maybe, if the database file was heavily fragmented, after the restore it might take a little bit less space, but I would say that the difference would be negligible.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Something to keep in mind regarding the size required on the target SQL server - if logs replay is performed during restore (restore to a point in time), then additional space would be required, depending on the amount of changes contained in the logs.