Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
philh
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Phil

SQL transaction log backups not appearing after being set to "Copy only"

Post by philh »

Using 9.5 Update 4
Hi, I'm new to Veeam, but have set it up in the last couple of weeks to use as our backup solution and have been impressed with its versatility.
One of our requirements was to take an hourly backup of our SQL transcation logs. I managed to set this up, with the *.vlb file updating every hour in our backup repository, and then a full backup of the SQL server being taken every night. All good.
But, yesterday our SQL DBA has noticed that my Veeam SQL trans log backups are truncating the logs on the host which he needs for some other reason ( site replication I think). So, after a bit of reading, I realised why this happens and tried a couple of different config settings so that the SQL trans log would not be truncated, but I could still receive a vlb file update.
Under 'Guest Processing Settings' for the server, I set Transaction Logs to "Perform Copy Only" (This then removes the SQL tab). This fixed the problem of the SQL trans logs getting deleted on the host, but no *.vlb files appear in my backup repository.
So I also tried Setting the Transaction Logs to "Process transaction Logs", and then on the SQL tab, chose to "DO not truncate logs". Not surprisingly, this had the same result of not deleting the transaction logs on the sql host, but also did not give me any *.vlb files in my repository.
So my SQL DBA is now happy, but I am less so.

Is this working as expected? It seems obvious that with the new settings, the SQL trans logs on the host will not now be deleted, but I would still like to take a copy of them every hour to my Veeam repository. Is this possible, or have I misunderstood how Veeam works in this instance?
Thanks in advance.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: SQL transaction log backups not appearing after being set to "Copy only"

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 2 people like this post

Hi Phil,
It is an expected behavior, as in order to backup transaction logs, Veeam will have to take care of log truncation - otherwise we could not predict what kind of logs will be available at the moment of log backup. So it is either your SQL admin handles the logs(truncation and backup), or us.
/Thanks!
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi Phil,

Also, as a workaround you could back up the whole machine with database and transaction logs.
In this case you will have both database and transaction logs backup.

Thanks!
philh
Novice

Post by philh »

Ah OK, thanks for a rapid response Egor. That has answered my question pretty conclusively!
Its a shame that this function is not possible, but I can understand why - it would be nice to be able to tell Veeam to backup what we want - even if that means some added responsibility on our side in managing the logs on the host.
philh
Novice

Post by philh » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Natalia, I currently take a nightly full backup of the whole sql host, so I hope that should contain all the transaction log files.