Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jacoboceanic
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jacob Earl

SQL Trnction log backup failed: Repository agent is stopped

Post by jacoboceanic »

Hi all,

We are having with SQL Transaction Log backups where all 3 jobs are failing with the following error:

"Failed to prepare guest for SQL Server transaction log backup Details: Repository agent is stopped"

I'm at a loss for what Repository agent it is referring to. As I mentioned this is occurring with three separate jobs containing different SQL servers, so I don't believe it's SQL related. Searching the KBs and Google I didn't find anything related whatsoever.

These DBs are highly transaccional and I'm afraid the logs will fill the volumes and cause issues if this is not corrected promptly. We opened Case # 02610084 and I uploaded to logs but have not heard back since the initial call.

Veeam BR Enterprise 9.5.0.1038, Windows 2012 R2, SQL 2014

If anyone has ideas or can help get this ticket in the right hands that would be great. Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: SQL Trnction log backup failed: Repository agent is stop

Post by veremin »

We haven't seen similar issue before, so, please, keep working with support engineer on that. Thanks.
jacoboceanic
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jacob Earl

Re: SQL Trnction log backup failed: Repository agent is stop

Post by jacoboceanic »

Yesterday we rebooted the repository server, and the issue continued the rest of the evening.

But after the normally schedule backups kicked off which included the parent SQL jobs the issue appears to have resolved itself.

Probably manually restarting the parent SQL job would have cleared this error much quicker. But happy to see things working again! :D
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: SQL Trnction log backup failed: Repository agent is stopped

Post by ibarizz »

Did someone finally understand the meaning of 'Repository agent is stopped' for SQL Server tlog errors?
I don't think it has something to do with the Veeam Data Mover service running on log shipping servers...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Have you already opened a support ticket for this issue? I'm wondering cause that is the only way for us to check the debug logs and actual infrastructure, and both might be needed to find the exact root cause. Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

"Repository agent is stopped" means that the corresponding Data Mover process which is supposed to be running on the repository has been stopped by some reason. Thus, data cannot be retrieved and stored on the backup repository. As Vladimir said, please continue to work with our support team in order to find the root cause but don't forget to share a support case ID for our reference.

Thanks!