Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
GrZeCh
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: Standalone ESXi 5 hosts and backup jobs

Post by GrZeCh » Jun 17, 2012 2:43 pm

On the other hand even when I've set "Deleted VMs data retention period" to one day shouldn't my backups be not touched since they still exist on ESXi servers (so they was not deleted) and running calculation function inside job settings returns proper VM size? During backup job when all my backups where deleted I've noticed that for each VM there more than one "... is outdated and will be deleted" message which would look like VM ID is stored somewhere else and changing it affects also backup jobs (even after changing VM ID in B&R DB).

EDIT: From my point of view it looked like:

"VM1 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 1)
"VM1 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 2)
"VM1 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 3)
"VM1 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 4)

"VM2 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 11)
"VM2 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 12)

"VM3 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 21)
"VM3 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 22)
"VM3 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 23)
"VM3 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 24)
"VM3 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 25)
"VM3 is outdated and will be deleted" (moref 26)

(moref .. is my suspicion why there more than one message "is outdated and will be deleted" for each VM name).

and I must ask if I change moref ID in B&R DB does B&R treat VM with changed moref id as the same VM (so moref id would be transparent for backup job) or maybe when I change moref ID B&R DB B&R treats VM with new ID as a new VM with the same name as previous one? If backup job treats VM wich changed moref id as the same VM then it's ok but when it treats VM with changed moref id as a new VM with the same name then there will be created totally new backup for this VM (so I will have backup for VM with previous moref ID and backup of VM with new moref ID)? Another question is why my VM backups where deleted since they corresponding VMs still exists?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1442 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Jun 17, 2012 8:52 pm

GrZeCh wrote:What should happen with VM backups which had changed ID in B&R DB when I set "Deleted VMs data retention period" to 1 day in storage Advanced -> Advanced settings and set in Storage part Restore points to keep on disk to 1?
These VMs will be treated as deleted ones.
GrZeCh wrote:On the other hand even when I've set "Deleted VMs data retention period" to one day shouldn't my backups be not touched since they still exist on ESXi servers (so they was not deleted) and running calculation function inside job settings returns proper VM size?
Another question is why my VM backups where deleted since they corresponding VMs still exists?
If VM changes its ID (moref), it will be treated as a completely new VM. This will also set a "deleted from inventory" flag on the existing VM stored in the backup files.
GrZeCh wrote:and I must ask if I change moref ID in B&R DB does B&R treat VM with changed moref id as the same VM (so moref id would be transparent for backup job) or maybe when I change moref ID B&R DB B&R treats VM with new ID as a new VM with the same name as previous one?
The first variant, though I'm not sure it will help, as VM moref ID is also stored in the backup files.

GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Post by GrZeCh » Jun 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Hello,

ok I've found VM XML leaf where there is VmRef attribute. Probably this is it. I'll try to check this and let you know.

Thank you

GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Post by GrZeCh » Jun 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Hello,

I didn't moved my VMs anywhere else but my VM backups has been deleted again. It looks like this is more complicated operation than I thought so I will probably connect two vCenters to B&R than adding 6 separate standalone ESXi hosts.

P.S. Is there any way that I can have trial period expanded? Trying to solve standalone hosts scenario took me some time from my trial period but I don't want to create another company account under veeam.com website.

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1442 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Jun 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Yes, please contact our sales or support team to request a new trial license.

GrZeCh
Enthusiast

Post by GrZeCh » Jun 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Ok. Support request sent. Thank you.