Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Stop copy job from running but drain off data

Post by tom11011 »

Hi group, not sure how best to explain but I'll give it a shot.

I have a copy job that runs every day and also has a monthly archive. The job does a copy every single day with a 30 day rotation and then monthly makes an archive of the last day of the month. It also prunes off the last monthly archive each month, ie there is always 12 total months in the archive which go back a year and #13 gets deleted each month.

I no longer have a need for this job to run everyday because the server that it was backing up no longer exists. However, I would like to keep the archived 12 months of data and let it naturally prune itself once a month until it bleeds off to zero.

Whats the best way to this? Do I keep the job running but not have a virtual machine assigned in the job? Or do I delete the job and let it sit in the unmanaged copy job area (I forget what this is called maybe Disk Imported?)

Thank you.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Stop copy job from running but drain off data

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Tom,

Disabled job will not process retention.
You can use Export Backup functionality to retrieve 12 monthly backups from copy chain and assign retention per-export.
Veeam will keep those exported backup files according to set retention and will delete respectful files when time comes.

/Cheers!