Storage vMotion during backup

VMware specific discussions

[MERGED] Concurrent tasks

Veeam Logoby marius roma » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:56 am

I'm quite sure that the answer is "don't worry", but I'd like to get the answer from anybody more expert than myself...
If a Veeam backup and a VMware task moving a VM from a datastore to another datastore run at the same time, is there any risk for the integrity of the VM and/or of the backup?
Regards
marius
marius roma
Expert

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mario

[MERGED] Re: Concurrent tasks

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:03 am

If you mean that a storage vmotion is happening during a Veeam backup, there is a running discussion about this topic, this post is worth lookig at.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1361 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Storage vMotion during backup

Veeam Logoby jjlethiers » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 am

Hi all,
I got a similar question related to svMotion and replication. At the target site, I can see that replica VM being automatically added to the "VM Overrides" list with SDRS set to Manual Mode so that corresponding VMDKs cannot be moved during the replication process. Perfect!
Problem is that our Veeam Proxy appliances are also part of the SDRS cluster (set to fully automated) meaning that:
1/ Replication process starts
2/ Replica VM is added to Storage DRS "VM Overrides"
3/ Snapshot of Replica VM is created
4/ Replica VM disks are attached to Proxy VM >>> VMDKs are now "owned" by Proxy VM and CAN be svMotioned

Knowing that, I guess I should disable SDRS for all Proxy VMs to avoid any issue. But I don't really know how to do it easily as we got 4 different storage tiers and proxy VMs are hosted on only one tier.
Thus I cannot add them to the "VM overrides" list of all other tiers (unless I add a tiny disk of each tier to each proxy...).
How do you guys deal with that? Aren't there any best practices related to SDRS & Virtual Appliance mode? Thanks.

Regards,
JJ
jjlethiers
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Jean-Jacques Lethiers

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere