Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jeffkuhn1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Kuhn

Suddenly getting quiescence errors and server reboots

Post by jeffkuhn1 »

Case # 04436545

An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine's event log for details.

Error 6008 in Event Log.

We are able to perform successful snapshots from within VMware with and without memory quiescence. Server does not reboot during same.

We are not running AAIP on this server. It is a simple fileserver.

We are able to run an active full with quiescence turned off or on.

We are unable to run an incremental with quiescence turned on.

The question is – what is causing this behavior and how can we correct it?

If we can quiesce the vm using vSphere but not Veeam, what is the problem with Veeam doing so?

Yesterday I was able to make an incremental with Shadow Copy turned off and VMWare Tools quiescence turned ON.

After that incremental, I turned Shadow Copies back on, and this morning the job failed again.

As of today, we are now seeing the same on another fileserver.

Both servers are 2012 R2, fully updated.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Suddenly getting quiescence errors and server reboots

Post by PetrM »

Hi Jeff,
jeffkuhn1 wrote:If we can quiesce the vm using vSphere but not Veeam, what is the problem with Veeam doing so?
Any backup application just sends a request to create or delete snapshot to the hypervisor, all further processes related to snapshot creation including quiescence are managed by the hypervisor itself.

Did you try to create a snapshot manually using guest file system quiescence, not memory?

I would also recommend to use AAIP as long as you're running your file server on Windows OS.

Thanks!