Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SeanGraham
Novice
Liked: never

Super slow restore - Is incremental restore possible?

Post by SeanGraham »

Hello everyone,

I have, what I gather, is a common problem. My restores are ridiculously slow.

We are trying to do a DR exercise, and we have 2 VMs (Windows Domain Controller + RDS) on a vSphere ESXi install. Everything runs great, and the backups are reasonably fast (~125MB/sec).

When restoring to a different machine, however, it's painfully slow - about 15MB/sec. It took about a day to do a 1.1TB restore. It's restoring to a 2TB HD, and changing from thick provisioning to thin provisioning. I know that'll have some overhead, but this is significant.

I'm not sure if anything can be done to speed that up?

I have not yet tried the instant restore, I know that's an option, but I can imagine that it'll be significantly slower than a proper native restore. I'll play with this as well, but the other piece that I'm wondering is - is it possible to do an incremental restore?

We do monthly full backups, and daily incrementals. Can I restore the monthly ahead of time, then in an emergency only "catch up" with the incrementals? Very little data changes on a daily basis (about 10GB), and most of it is overlapped. There may only be 50GB changed over the course of the month.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Super slow restore - Is incremental restore possible?

Post by foggy »

There's a Quick Rollback option available, however, for restores to the original location only. I recommend contacting support for a closer look - logs will tell the actual bottleneck during restore so you will be able to optimize things.