Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Sure backup job VMs with no internet access

Post by kapple »

Support case 03825467.

Hi,
I have started a SureBackup session in order to update the OS of a VM, then do a staged restore once this is done. Unfortunately, even though the Virtual Lab is configured to allow the proxy appliance to act as internet proxy for the VMs in the lab via port 8080, I can not access the internet at all (Pings to 8.8.8.8 fail, pings to naz.edu, resolved via our internal DNS, results in destination host unreachable), Windows Update unable to contact server).

I configured the proxy settings in the VM as per kb1165 to use the <gateway IP>, which is the address of the proxy appliance on the isolated network for this VLAN.

I am not sure how best to proceed. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adrian1980
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times

Re: Sure backup job VMs with no internet access

Post by Adrian1980 »

Can you ping your gateway?
Did the Proxy-Vm do have Internet access?
All vNICs are connected properly?

Adrian
Proud to be a Veeam Certified Architect.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

login into the VirtualLab appliance and try to ping your proxy server to see if connection is there.
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

I can ping all the IPs of the proxy appliance from the VM in the virtual lab, one of which is the default gateway of the VM.

Regarding the question "Did the Proxy-Vm do have Internet access?", I assume you are asking if the proxy appliance can ping external addresses? I am not sure. I am unable to log in to the appliance since I did not create a root password for the helper appliance. As per other forum posts, logging in to the appliance is only used for log generation by Veeam support. As per Gostev "You do not need to login into the virtual lab appliance at all. This is intended for support only, in case something does not work. ... you don't have to open proxy appliance console or logon there... ever."
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ken,

Yes, you don't need to log in to the appliance, but we are troubleshooting your issue like the support team would do ;), thus this test is needed. Can you contact our support team to verify that you have an internet connection from the appliance?

Thanks!
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

Thanks Vitaliy,

I needed to create the helper appliance password, and then relaunch the SureBackup job. The job failed to launch twice:

Code: Select all

10/24/2019 3:01:15 PM Error Starting virtual lab routing engine
10/24/2019 3:01:15 PM Error Timed out waiting for proxy appliance to respond. Possible causes:
10/24/2019 3:01:15 PM Error 1. Appliance is configured to run on different network than backup server
10/24/2019 3:01:15 PM Error 2. Appliance is configured to obtain IP address automatically, but DHCP server is not available
10/24/2019 3:01:21 PM Error: The operation has timed out.
I updated the case, uploaded logs.
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple » 1 person likes this post

The issue is resolved, but there were some hiccups along the way. Case # 03825467
1) After creating the helper appliance root password, I could not log into the proxy appliance as root. To fix this, I needed to reconfigure the virtual lab. Not actually make any changes, just run through the setup wizard. Once this was done, I was able to log in as root.
2) The proxy appliance could ping the VMs in the virtual lab, as well as IPs that are outside our network.
3) The VMs in the virtual lab can ping the proxy appliance, as well as the proxy appliance's gateway, but nothing outside of our network. So ....
4) Using ping to test connectivity from VMs in the virtual lab, to IP outside our network, just does not work, so I assume this is not a good method of testing VMs in the virtual lab. (Windows proxy servers does not support ICMP?).
5) However, after configuring the VMs to use the proxy appliance IP as the proxy server, Windows updates, and using IE to access the internet worked. Windows updates were my issue, so all is good.