Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Surebackup and multiple IP nets in one production network

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Do I understand it correctly that you run 2 Subnets in one VLAN? Why do you run it that way and how do you handle routing?
jloube
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Loube

Post by jloube »

Yes, is that not what this whole thread is about? There's no rule that "new subnet = new vlan". They're completely different concepts operating in different OSI layers. Routing is no different than if there was also a separate VLAN.
jloube
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Loube

Post by jloube »

To get this somewhat working, I ended up removing the network mapping for the main IPs entirely, and just added a single mapping for the back-end network that all the machines have. Surebackup jobs all throw a warning now for their main IP failing to map, but at least the ping test on the back-end IPs is successful. Definitely still limited in the testing that is possible this way, but at least it's functional.

Any word on if this restriction will be removed at some point? It doesn't even make sense to have 2 different pages for 'Isolated Networks' and 'Network Settings' in the Virtual Lab setup currently, since they basically are required to be one and the same. It almost feels like the current lab setup wizard was created based on how I WANT it to work, but then the 1:1 VLAN to Network limitation was introduced at some point.