Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chri5
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Tolhurst

Surebackup as testing lab

Post by chri5 »

I'd like to use surebackup to run some tests on a vm over a period of days. I am aware I can reboot and shutdown a vm in a surebackup job without loosing changes but as soon as the surebackup job ends all changes are lost. I suppose I could just keep the job running until I have finished but if anything happens to the veeam server the session could potentially end.

I was just wondering if there was a way to use surebackup and keep any changes to a vm after the job ends?

Chris
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Surebackup as testing lab

Post by Shestakov »

Chris,
By design Surebackup is made to guarantee recoverability of your data. Surebackup boots VMs from backup file and discards changes after shutdown to revert back.
To leave VMs from the application group running after the SureBackup job completes, select the "Keep the application group running once the job completes" check box in the job`s properties. With this option enabled, the lab will not be powered off when the SureBackup job completes and you will be able to perform application item-level restore (U-AIR) and manually test VMs started in the virtual lab.
Thanks.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

You could also back up VMs running in SureBackup and restore that VMs any time.
Please note, that is possible only on VMware (I believe, it is your case, but may be important for future readers).
chri5
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Tolhurst

Post by chri5 »

Hi, thanks for the advice. Backing up the surebackup vm is a good solution and will suit my requirement well. Why didn't I think of that :roll:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

On a side note, if you want to play with VMs in isolated environment without loosing changes made, you can restore VM and connect it to VB&R VLab appliance. Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Or you can directy clone the production VM from vCenter at this point...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1