Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Surebackup error : OS did not boot up in allotted time.

Post by zadrian »

I have this weird error lately....Surebackup : OS did not boot in the allotted time.

The only thing I can think off is that the VM is using VMware tools from Sept 2020 (ESXI was updated in Oct 2020, VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 16713306) but I have over 20 VMs using that version of VMware tools and no issues.

- Boot timeout was set from 1200 to 12000 (5 hours) running at approx 12am to 5am.
- Cleared OS temp files etc
- Tried using full backup (currently using Veeam reverse increment backup)
- Tried using a different Veeam Virtual LAb

There is a Veeam backup copy to a remote site. Then a replica was created using the Veeam backup copy. Then surerplica is used on the replica. No issues on the replica.

Anything else to try ?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Surebackup error : OS did not boot up in allotted time.

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Please provide a support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic.

There are many different causes of this error and more precise analysis is required that's why I'd suggest to leave this task for our support engineers but it's a definitely good idea to update VMware Tools on the problematic VM.

Thanks!
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

What OS? Linux can be performing fsck'ing before the tools are started. Likewise Windows some form of chkdsk consistency? 5 hours is a lot mind you.
What does the console screen of the VM in SureBackup display its doing? Anything or nothing?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

It's also a good idea but I would leave an opportunity to troubleshoot the issue to our support team as this issue can exist due to various reasons.

Thanks!