Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
melroy87
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matthew Elloy

SureBackup Multi-Host Networking Configuration

Post by melroy87 »

I'm a little confused about the network config for SureBackup using a DVS. Say I had the following setup:

Four ESXi hosts connected to the same DVS with no standard switches
Veeam B&R server in the 10.11.1.0/24 VLAN
Target VMs for SureBackup jobs in the 10.11.2.0/24 VLAN
vLab VLAN configured with port group on the DVS at 10.11.3.0/24

In which VLAN should each of the following be in the following pages of the vLab settings wizard?

Proxy page - Production Network and Appliance IP (should this be in 10.11.1.0/24 or 10.11.2.0/24 ?)
Isolated Networks page - Production Network and Isolated Network (should this map 10.11.2.0/24 to 10.11.3.0/24 and include the VLAN ID for 10.11.3.0/24 ?)
Network Settings page - Should the IP address be the gateway of the 10.11.3.0/24 network and should I use the masquerade network from a fourth VLAN (eg 10.11.4.0/24)?

I'm getting "Error: No destination network for IP address 10.11.2.10" when I come to run the lab and I can't figure out why it can't get to it.
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: SureBackup Multi-Host Networking Configuration

Post by bdufour »

is veeam on the same subnet as your backups? ive ran into similar issues in the past - bc i was running veeam out of our dr site (diff subnet obviously), once i installed an instance of veeam on the production side to run surebackup jobs everything worked. pretty sure, i just took all of the defaults in the wizard to config the network for surebackup vlab.
melroy87
Novice

Post by melroy87 »

If you mean is Veeam on the same subnet as the VMs being backed up then no. We have different clients who are each in a separate VLAN. Aren’t you supposed to be able to use SureBackup when the backed up VMs aren’t in the same subnet as Veeam though? It’ll be useless to us if not.
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

actually, i meant what i asked - is veeam on the same subnet as the appliance where the backups are stored? as surebackup is to test backups. its not about where the production vms are, its where the backups are. but of course you can work out the routing appropriate to your environment to test your backups. i was just saying if you install an instance of veeam on the same subnet as the backup appliance that makes things easier.

you could always open a support case with veeam - these guys are good and will point you in the right direction.
melroy87
Novice

Post by melroy87 » 1 person likes this post

Oh got you sorry. Mustn’t have read that properly but no, the SAN is on iSCSI on a different subnet again (same one as the vCenter and ESXi hosts). It could be something to do with that but it restores, booots and detects the IP through VMware tools so possibly not.

I think I will raise a ticket thanks I just wanted to check my understanding of how it all ties together first.
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

no worries mate - get with support, they will help you out! browse the forums as well, plenty of great info here about this same topic.

blake
melroy87
Novice

Post by melroy87 »

Managed to get it sorted with the help of support. To answer my own questions in case anyone has the same issue:

Proxy page - Production Network and Appliance IP should be in the same network as the Veeam B&R server (10.11.1.0/24 in my case)

Isolated Networks page - Production Network and Isolated Network should map 10.11.2.0/24 to 10.11.3.0/24 and include the VLAN ID for 10.11.3.0/24 in my case

Network Settings page - The IP address should be the gateway of the 10.11.2.0/24 (production) network but the isolated network in the drop-down should be the 10.11.3.0/24 (vLab) network and the masquerade network should be a fourth VLAN (eg 10.11.4.0/24)

Once I configured these settings and ensured the Windows firewalls were open on each VM for all ports being tested, the job was successful.