SureBackup Sql Server, error code 6

VMware specific discussions

SureBackup Sql Server, error code 6

Veeam Logoby Fiskepudding » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:15 pm 1 person likes this post

This is already solved with a workaround (removing offline databases) but would just like to add this to the forms if anyone else gets this error.

I have been scratching my head for a while now with surebackup failing on SQL server, and opened a ticket (Case # 01846817).
Just confirmed that the SQL-VM's that are failing our surebackup with error 6 all had offline databases.
This was no problem with previous version of veeam who "just" used the Veeam.Backup.ConnectionTester.exe to test connectivity to port 1433.
But after the introduction of Veeam.Backup.SqlChecker.vbs this causes the application script to fail.

Detaching the DB’s OR bringing them online again (and backing up again) will make surebackup return a scucess for that SQL server.

However it is not that important to have the DB's offline, but sometimes, it can be practical.
Meaning that the following surebackup will fail.

I would like to see that surebackup did not FAIL on offline databases, because that is their state also in production.
So the result is expected. Off cause since I now know this, I could make custom versions of Veeam.Backup.SqlChecker.vbs for the servers with offline databases and skip checking these databases, but that means “micro managing”.
However i would say that if the databae is offline the script should just ignore it. At least not throw an error. Because you are not able/supposed to connect to the DB even in production.

I don't know what Veeam view on this.
Fiskepudding
Expert

Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Re: SureBackup Sql Server, error code 6

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Espen, thanks for this feedback, we will submit a task to update the script to prevent failures on offline databases.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby fja » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:18 am

Nice post - just got same issue after upgrading - and deleting databases now. Please FIX as soon as possible!!
fja
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby Oletho » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:19 am

Has anyone tested if this is solved in Veeam 9.5?
Oletho
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:09 am

The script has not been updated yet.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to VMware vSphere