Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
helpdeskvsg
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Helpdesk Voortman

Surebackup Windows 2012R2 DC inserts chkdsk

Post by helpdeskvsg »

I've got a wierd SureBackup issue since I migrated my Windows Server 2016 Veeam B&R server to a Windows Server 2022 OS. Backups all do run fine but what is a backup without a restore or test? To test the backups I do use SureBackup and on the Windows Server 2016 Veeam B&R server all ran fine. On the Windows Server 2022 Veeam B&R server the Windows Server 2012R2 DC's all starts with a chkdsk which will take ages. And it's only the Windows Server 2012R2 DC's, not fileservers not higher Windows versions!

I've tested reboots of the specific Windows Server 2012R2 DC VM and no chkdsk occur, nor do they if I restore the Windows Server 2012R2 DC VM (I've got two, tested both)!

Anybody an idea? Veeam Support just says increase the timeout but that seems strange to me since on the old server it all ran fine.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Surebackup Windows 2012R2 DC inserts chkdsk

Post by Mildur »

Hi Helpdesk
Veeam Support just says increase the timeout but that seems strange to me since on the old server it all ran fine.
What's your case number? If you are unhappy about the outcome of the case, you can always use the "Talk to a Manager"-option:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2320

Do you see the same when doing an instant recovery of such machine?
Have you checked the issue also with Microsoft Support?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
helpdeskvsg
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Helpdesk Voortman

Post by helpdeskvsg »

The last outcome is: there is a bug in Windows Server 2022 which generates an incompatibility in $LogFile versions. You can find more details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Jour ... ility%20of so I will:
1. Migrate to a Windows Server 2019 OS
2. Keep as is and hope for a quick patch from Microsoft

I didn't test an ionstant recovery since this is a DC. I did check a full restore and that worked.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Thanks for sharing.
In the end Surebackup helped you to identify the problem early before you would run into it at an emergecy.