Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
resruss
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

Synthetic Full and Backup Copy to Cloud Connect

Post by resruss »

We're in the process of getting a Cloud Connect job up and running.
Some of these jobs are using Synthetic Fulls.

Just wanting to know what the expected behaviour is when running a Backup Copy to a Cloud Connect repository.

Let's assume the Synthetic Full is 1 TB and created every Saturday.
Does that mean each Saturday, the Backup Copy job will transmit 1 TB to the CloudConnect repository?
Or is the job smart enough to see that the changed blocks are only say 10 GB and transmit just the 10 GB to the CloudConnect repository?

We're happy to change the synthetic fulls to forever incrementals, but that will take time to retention out, we're wanting to get Cloud Connect going ASAP
resruss
Service Provider

Re: Synthetic Full and Backup Copy to Cloud Connect

Post by resruss »

Just had a thought, if we converted all our jobs to Forever Incremental, that would stop any more synthetic fulls from being created
What would be transmitted during the initial backup copy or seed? (Assume 1 TB per synthetic full, if there were 3 synthetic fulls, would that mean 3 TB seeded?)

Likewise, we've got a couple of large (6 TB) Reversed Incrementals, how would Reversed Incremental transmit each day after the initial seed (just the changes within the VBK or would it try and transmit the entire VBK each day?)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Does that mean each Saturday, the Backup Copy job will transmit 1 TB to the CloudConnect repository?
No.
Or is the job smart enough to see that the changed blocks are only say 10 GB and transmit just the 10 GB to the CloudConnect repository?
Correct.
What would be transmitted during the initial backup copy or seed?
Just disable periodic full backup (both synthetic and active ones) and job will be automatically switched to forward forever incremental mode. That won't result in high amount of transferred data, once the switch is done.
how would Reversed Incremental transmit each day after the initial seed (just the changes within the VBK or would it try and transmit the entire VBK each day?)
Just changes.

Thanks.
resruss
Service Provider

Post by resruss »

v.Eremin wrote:Just disable periodic full backup (both synthetic and active ones) and job will be automatically switched to forward forever incremental mode. That won't result in high amount of transferred data, once the switch is done.
So I've done that, in our example we have retention set to 14 restore points.
In the backup chain that we've disabled Synthetic Fulls on, I can see multiple VBKs.
From the newest VBK, I can see 13 restore points on the filesystem, but Veeam shows 14 within the Backups area.

Any reason why I'd see less files in the repository folder than within Veeam?
Also will Veeam actually retention the now defunct older backup chains, or do I need to delete (what's the process for the actual deletion so that it removes from the catalog cleanly?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Any reason why I'd see less files in the repository folder than within Veeam?
Might be some sort of obsolete references existing inside product database. Can you open backups node, compare its content with disk files, and see which particular point is missing?