Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
parneye
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James

Target Proxy Hot Add Event Log Errors

Post by parneye »

Hi

We have a target proxy installed on a windows 2008 image, and it is configured to use hotadd.
It is configured to be used by a Replication job, and all works fine.

The problem is I see error events in the target proxy event viewer.

I've read previous posts, which say that one of the events in particular can be ignored.
I was wondering if this is now different as proxies previously only used to read from hotadd and now they write.

The most common error is Event Id 12, Source PlugPlayManager: "The device 'VMware Virtual disk SCSI Disk ..... disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal."
Also there is one instance of error Event Id 10, Source VDS Dynamic Provider: "The provider failed while storing notifications from the driver. The Virtual Disk Service should be restarted."

Automount is disabled in diskpart.

Cheers
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Target Proxy Hot Add Event Log Errors

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R uses VDDK to manage disks and does not control the process of disks removal from the system. It also sets the SAN policy on Windows 2008 computers to Offline preventing the file system mount, so disks do not need to be "prepared for removal" and nothing should block disks hot plug/unplug. So these events can be ignored.

Regarding the second event, I'm not sure whether it is related to Veeam B&R at all: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948275.
parneye
Enthusiast

Post by parneye »

Hi foggy

Thanks for your reply.

My concern was that their may be data in some cache that was still to be written to the disk if safe remove was not used, but if this is not a possible issue then all is well.

The Event Id 10, occurs about 2 - 3 times per backup job, compared with Event Id 12 that occurs 11 times. Event Id 12 is obviously linked to the number of virtual disks being backed up.
From what I've read, Event Id 10 seems to be related to driver notification messages or something for the Virtual Disk Service when it starts / stops in a particular order or something -- pretty sure I can ignore this one too.
It's clean Windows 2008 purely for the proxy, only thing installed is the proxy that Veeam deployed.
parneye
Enthusiast

Post by parneye »

Just to let everyone know, that these errors do not occur in 2008 R2...
I upgraded the OS of the proxy to 2008 R2, and the errors do not occur any more.

Although the errors were probably safe to ignore, they still had me worried.