Testing Replica (B&R 6.0 and later)

VMware specific discussions

Re: Recovering after full DR test

Veeam Logoby freddieleatham » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Another question, during the DR Test - assuming it is a full test with users etc, should I power off the production VMs?
We don't have vmotion, so will the DR site be powered down, the shapshots moved back and merged with production, then production powered up?
freddieleatham
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Freddie Leatham

Re: Testing Replica (B&R 6.0 and later)

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Freddie, please review this topic on replica testing considerations. Should additional questions arise, feel free to ask here.

Besides, I would also note that the upcoming Veeam B&R v7 will provide the SureReplica finctionality for automated replica verification.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1075 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Recovering after full DR test

Veeam Logoby kjc3303 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm

freddieleatham wrote:Thanks for the quick reply!

What happens if I failover manually. I would like my tests to not depend on the Veeam infrastructure so I ssh onto the DR esx, create snapshots of all the machines, then power them on. If this is a basic DR test I will stop the machines and revert the snapshots, but if users are involved I will need to failback the VMs.

Is this possible? Or is it perhaps sensible to use the Veeam infrastructure for tests where I need to failback and only do manual ones where I can discard the delta?

Thanks

In all

Freddie, no need to take snapshots in a manual test, just power up you DR vm's and test (in an isolated network if Prod VM's are still powered on). Shut them down when you finish and you Replica schedule will resume.
kjc3303
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu May 23, 2013 4:30 pm

freddieleatham wrote:Is this possible? Or is it perhaps sensible to use the Veeam infrastructure for tests where I need to failback and only do manual ones where I can discard the delta?

If you failover manually (not using backup console), then failback operation will not be available for you, since your backup server will not be aware about failover operation. If you want to transfer all the changes back, then you need to configure new replication jobs, choose VM replicas as source and point these replicas to production VMs. Hope this helps!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Cannot start replica

Veeam Logoby Guido » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:12 am

I am testing my replica. I took a snapshot within VI client and changed the NIC settings of the replica. After power on there is a message from the Boot manager.
"Windows failed to start. Ar recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:......
File: \windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: Yhe selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

I did have more not bootable replica's in the past. I do this testing according to the recomendations.

Please help
Guido
Influencer

Full Name: Guido

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 am

Guido, what recommendations are you referring to? Since each replica restore point is a common snapshot, you can simply power it on with vSphere Client, no need to create additional snapshot. Please review this topic for recommendations on testing replica VMs in vSphere. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Guido » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 am

see KB1073
Guido
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:04 am

What Veeam B&R version are you using? The procedure described in this article refers to versions prior to v6.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Guido » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 pm

v6.5
But can this be the cause of the error? Do I need veeam to test the replica? Or is my manual snapshot ruining the vm?
Guido
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Most likely change of the NIC settings caused the above-mentioned error. What changes have you performed?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Guido » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:47 am

I changed the "Connect at power on".
Guido
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:24 am

Hi, Guido. Can you just revert settings back to the previously used values and follow up-to-date procedure that is pretty good covered in these sticky FAQs?

And don't forget that new feature called SureReplica that provides you with automatic replica testing functionality will be available in the upcoming release. So, stay tuned.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Testing Replica

Veeam Logoby james575 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Gostev wrote:Actually, no - the changes will not be overwritten. This is due to how snapshot tree works in VMware - the changes you've made will be kept intact in the corresponding snapshot that VMware will automatically create once you start the VM on any existing restore point (to protect said restore point snapshot, since VMware wants you to be able to go back to it). You will be able to return to this state at any time later, until you remove this snapshot tree point manually - it is very important to remember to do this, since Veeam's retention will only manage its own restore point snapshots. If you don't remove the snapshot, it may eventually grow to the size of the corresponding VMDK file.

I just read this entire thread and the FAQ, but want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I have a replica at my DR site that is currently powered off. I want to test it, so I separate it from the production network and power it on manually with vSphere. Once it is running, I test it. So my point of confusion...

I do not want/care about changes made to the replica during the testing phase. When I am done testing it, I want to power it down and have the replication job continue as normal. Should I then go into vSphere and delete the most recent snapshot on the replica?

(Thank you--great thread here BTW.)
james575
Novice

Re: Testing Replica

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:32 pm

james575 wrote:I do not want/care about changes made to the replica during the testing phase. When I am done testing it, I want to power it down and have the replication job continue as normal. Should I then go into vSphere and delete the most recent snapshot on the replica?

No, you do not need to do anything after powering the replica VM off. The job will continue to run normally, the changes made during the testing phase will be discarded.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : query on replicated server

Veeam Logoby terrance101 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 am

Hey guys,

my boss keeps pestering me for an answer on this but truthfully I don't know and was hoping someone could explain. When I replicate a server, then down the original and bring up the replicated server, change all sorts of files on it and work on it for a while. Then I can prove to him that on the next replication from the original all the changes that are made on the replicated server are erased (and the original server is again cleanly replicated) even though only the differential data is going across to the replicated server. He keeps pestering asking me how this is and I don't have an answer... can anyone shed light on what witchcraft is going on here? :)
terrance101
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere