Testing Replica (B&R 6.0 and later)

VMware specific discussions

Testing Replica (B&R 6.0 and later)

Veeam Logoby Choodee » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Can someone provide me with a link to a document outlining how to test a failover replica on v6? I knew the procedure on V5 which was cumbersome to say the least but I was able test without messing up the replication job. I noticed that there is now a failover and a failback in the wizard.

Thanks
Sandee
Choodee
Influencer

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sandee Dela Cruz

Re: Testing Replica

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:23 pm

This is covered in the sticky FAQ topic...
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby Choodee » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Gostev wrote:Q: I want to test replica failover. Can I simply power on any replica restore point with vSphere Client?
A: Yes. Because each restore point is a snapshot, its contents will remain the same (all disk changes from the running VM will go into the new snapshot file the host would automatically create). Replication job also won't brake. Unlike with v5, testing replicas with v6 is really a breeze - thanks to the new way of storing replica restore points.

I did read the Sticky FAQ as well as watched the screencasts. But I'm actually more interested in using the Veeam wizard as opposed to manually powering on the replica through VClient. Namely the 'Failover to Replica' and the 'Failback' options in the Restore wizard.

Thanks
Sandee
Choodee
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

You can find all details about these wizard in our User Guide (page 192), which is available on the product web page under the Resources tab. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby Choodee » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 pm

great thank you!

Sandee
Choodee
Influencer

Veeam Logoby fbroussey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 pm

HI all,

I read the User Guide but I just want a precision on one point: Does tip page 49 says that you can do a failover in order to test the replica even if the original VM is in an operational state ? If yes what about the duplicate IP address and the client vue ?

Thanks for your answer.
fbroussey
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Frederic BROUSSEY

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Frederic, just use common sense considerations here. Would you power on a complete copy of the VM on the same network? Probably not. However, if you replica VM is on the different network, or has re-IP rule in place and the actual application will not go crazy because of both VMs operational (such as in case with DC), then you can do this. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby fbroussey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 am

Hi Anton,
Of course the replicas are just in case of a disaster on the first technical room (in our case we use replica on the same site but the replicas are in a technical room at the other side of the building) . In such a case, what is the method to test that the replicas are ok ? Should I disable the job, make a snapshot of the replica, change its vm network (on a vswitch isolated) , and boot it, and then delete the snapshot as it is toldl by veeam for the V5 ?

Thanks for your answer.
fbroussey
Influencer

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:17 am 1 person likes this post

You do not need to stop the job or snapshot the VM. Simply isolate its network from the production network and power it up while the replica job is not running; you can create a isolated vswitch to test. After tests are ok, simply shutdown the replica VM.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1336 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

[MERGED] Metaphysic question "Failover to replica" ONSITE

Veeam Logoby fbroussey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Hello all,

I have just a question that may be a newbie one but on page 48-49 of the user guide, it seems that you can do a failover to replica even if the Original VM is alive , isn't it.
If yes, what's about duplicate ip, in an ON-SITE Replication , as the last step of the failover to replica is to start the replica VM? ...

Thanks for your answer...
fbroussey
Influencer

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:48 pm 1 person likes this post

For onsite you need to fence the network of the replica VM in some way, the easier one is to create a vswitch on VMware that has no uplink connected to it, and power up the VM with a port group connected to it.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1336 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby Daveyd » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Here is my scererio:

I would like to perform a test failover of several replica servers to our DR site. I have set up port groups with a separate isolated VLAN on each vswitch in the DR site. I plan to create a job to replicate the VMs and changing their networks to the DR port group and re-IPing each server to match the VLAN id. I am going to log into a client that is on the same VLAN that my replicated VMs just failed over to. However, in order for me to log into the application from the client to the replicated VMs, the appliction needs NTLM authentication. We are not replicating any of our DCs in this test scenerio. I assume allowing the replicated VMs access to Production DCs for client authentication would be a bad thing since the replicas have the same host name and SID. Is that correct?
Daveyd
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Yep, you most definitely should not do that! Having a DC replica in DR site is a must-have for your scenario.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Daveyd » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Yea, I thought so. Should I replicate a DC that holds a specific FSMO role or should that not matter? Also, in the replication job, I would need to change the IP address to match all the other replicated servers on the DR VLAN, would that srew anything up with authentication in my test scenerio?
Daveyd
Expert

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Dave DeLollis

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:26 pm

I believe, you will need to replicate at least two DCs (not sure about FSMO roles, believe this does not matter). Otherwise, they will disable NETLOGON service after certain period of time (due to not being able to contact any other replication partners). We handle that in SureBackup jobs by booting DC in the special mode, but you would not be able to do this in your case.

Why do you need to re-IP all servers, if you are bringing them up on the isolated virtual network? Why not just have everything keep its existing IP addresses? Also, if you re-IP, what about DNS records? Do you have existing DNS server in DR site with DNS records pointing to the new IP addresses?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Next

Return to VMware vSphere