Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
emashaal
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eid Mashaal

Throttling -- when does it take effect

Post by emashaal »

A few quick questions about throttling:

1.When do throttling changes take effect? Upon job start, or do you have to restart veeam services (if so which ones) -- is there anyway to see the details of throttling/throttling changes in the logs?

2.Does changing global throttling settings say from 3MB/sec to 5MB/sec during a job take effect immediately? I have some confiusing evidence that it may....

It seems you need a masters in throttling when you have low link speeds and huge tb VM's/

using 6.1.0.181
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Throttling -- when does it take effect

Post by Gostev »

1. As soon as traffic between our agents exceeds the set value. I am positive that throttling should be reflected in the logs, but I do not know where exactly (I cannot read logs). Our support can assist with that, however - since this is what they are doing every day :D

2. The change should be applied immediately. Per our support lead, best way to test throttling is to set it to a very low value. In that case, you will very clearly see when the throttling kicks in, and when it does not.
emashaal
Novice

Post by emashaal »

Impressive functionality the ability to adjust on the fly is crucial for tuning........

for anyone using throttling make sure you understand your actual wan-link speeds then set them in the GUI properly...
emashaal
Novice

Post by emashaal »

Another question:

It seems that when running a job and looking at the "read time" if your set to a low throttle say 2Mbps in my case the read a on 200GB disk stays at 2MB/s making it unbelievebly slow....

while
it I set the throttle up to say 10MB/s i see the link get choppy however the job progresses at up to 120 MB/s

So my question is when setting low throttle does that control the read and the write.....perhaps you can only read as fast as your allowed (due to throttle) to write?? or is it some disk slowness issue (running most vm's disks ssd's so I doubt its that)

I need more tips on where to set the throttle and perhaps any tuning advice for a wan link that has riverbeds at both ends.... Cant find a sweet spot where reads are good and I dont see major drops while running icmp's over the wan link.

the VM in question has 9 VMKD's = a total of 1.6TB and is reading from direct san....
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Processing speed will jump when processing engine hits unchanged or zeroed virtual disk areas, so you should don't refer to this counter when investigating throttling behavior. Instead, you should be using some sort of network monitor.
gerg
Influencer
Full Name: Greg

Post by gerg »

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this old thread but I'm also interested by the question of when the throttling kicks in.

If I have a replication job running with 10 servers in it and I change the allowed bandwidth when should the new settings kick in?
1. On the job that is running?
2. On the next VM in the job?
3. On the next job?
From what I can see it appears to be a bit random!

On a side note I had a ticket open today as the throttling rules were not being applied. I was advised to set the source and target proxy to specifc ones rather than have them as 'automatically selection'. This caused the rules to be applied.

Cheers
Greg
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Greg,

As per Anton's reply above it should happen right when the traffic between our agents exceeds the configured value.

Thanks!