Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Exodus
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Trying to add backup proxy in my infrastructure

Post by Exodus »

Hello guys,

I'm currently an IT student and doing my last year internship. My job is to analyze the actual backup infrastructure of the company and provide several upgrades or new solutions.
The virtual infrastructure is based on VMware and we actually have several ESXi, each one of them has a VM who is supposed to be working as a backup proxy.
The thing is that when the configured jobs (using Veeam Backup & Replication) are running, they do not use any backup proxy and all the load is going on the main server.
We of course do have these backup proxy added on Veeam, but when I try to force a job to use a proxy instead of the main server, I constantly get the same error which is :

07-03-19 15:04:15 :: Failed to create processing task for VM SRV55 (Centreon) Error: Cannot find suitable proxy for retrieving data from storage snapshot, and the option to failover to backup from VM snapshot is disabled

Leaving the configuration of the jobs on "automatic selection" always choose the main server as the proxy which leads to having 3-4 (big) jobs running simultaneously on the same server.
My main concern is the possibility of the backup proxy not allowed to access the datastore where are stored the backup or maybe the datastore used to store VMs virtual disks.
I hope some of you could help by giving me some tips so I can target my researches.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Trying to add backup proxy in my infrastructure

Post by foggy »

Hi, the first step is to check if any of the hotadd limitations apply. Thanks!
Exodus
Novice

Post by Exodus »

Thanks for your help foggy ! I've been looking for the hotadd limitations and everything seems alright to me. However I've checked the troubleshooting section and done the following manipulations :
http://www.veeam.com/kb1184
http://www.veeam.com/kb1882
But nothing helped me to make my proxy working. I got the permission to deploy a new VM on the infrastructure, we actually have 2 sites in the infrastructure, the main site and one who's reserved for the DRP. What I've done is create a new VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 in the DRP site, I then added this VM as a backup proxy on Veeam. The thing is, this proxy was perfectly working in the DRP site , I was able to create jobs that used it etc... So we decided to migrate it into the main site and test it here, but it just doesn't work ! It drives me crazy that my proxy isn't working knowing the infrastructure at the DRP site is almost the same as in the main site...

PS : Sorry if I made some grammar or spelling mistakes, english isn't my native language.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I've just read the error message more thoroughly and looks like you're forcing the job to use storage snapshots as a source, while in fact you'd like it to use hotadd to retrieve VM disks data from the datastore. Please check the job settings and clear the Enable backup from storage snapshots check box if it is selected.
Exodus
Novice

Post by Exodus » 1 person likes this post

I've followed your advices foggy and as you said, the check box to enable backup from storage snapshots was checked. I uncheched it and it looks like my jobs are finally using the several backup proxies in my infrastructure ! Thank you very much for your help !