Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bushtor
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tor

Tuning replication job...

Post by bushtor »

Hi,

I purchased a couple of enterprise licenses and have been running replication from two vmware vsphere5 hosts for a few days. It works nicely but I wonder why it takes much longer to process two of the VMs.

I installed veeam B&R on the vcenter server which was probably not a good idea because this server is one of the eigth VMs which are replicated. It actually take 2+ hours to process the replication on this server. Should veeam have been installed on a physical computer not being replicated in order to perform at its best? Second question: If I need to move veeam to another computer, does it exist a white paper on how to save and migrate the licenses and all its settings?

The other VM taking a lot of time to replicate is a debian linux server. Actually very few files (50-70) are changed each day on this computer, but these few are changed every 5 minutes by a cron job. Any clue why this server takes 5 times as long to replicate than our domain controllers and file servers?

I haven't enabled any guest OS processing yet because I lacked experience on how to work with this within veeam...

Thanks a lot for comments on these issues

regards Tor
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Tuning replication job...

Post by foggy »

bushtor wrote:I installed veeam B&R on the vcenter server which was probably not a good idea because this server is one of the eigth VMs which are replicated. It actually take 2+ hours to process the replication on this server.
Installing Veeam B&R along with vCenter server is not generally an issue. What could really cause this VM to replicate so long is the fact that the proxy cannot hotadd itself (this is a known limitation covered in the release notes), which makes this VM to be replicated over network. You can check the transport mode effectively being used during processing of this VM in the job statistics window (just select this particular VM to the left and look at the mode tag just after the name of the proxy in the right pane).
bushtor wrote:Second question: If I need to move veeam to another computer, does it exist a white paper on how to save and migrate the licenses and all its settings?
Please review this topic, should answer your questions: Moving Veeam B&R to another server?
bushtor wrote:The other VM taking a lot of time to replicate is a debian linux server. Actually very few files (50-70) are changed each day on this computer, but these few are changed every 5 minutes by a cron job. Any clue why this server takes 5 times as long to replicate than our domain controllers and file servers?
Changes are replicated at the block level and are not tied up to guest OS files. Moreover, changed block may contain more than one file (including those that were not changed since last job run) and change of a file could change a number of blocks. You can check the amount of blocks that were reported as changed in the job statistics, under Read counter.