Two Veeam B&R servers, one source VM, and CBT

VMware specific discussions

[MERGED] 5 Monthly Clones using Veeam Replication v7

Veeam Logoby nicko82 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:14 am

Hi All,

One of my customers have a requirement for us to clone one of their production web servers 5 times once a month, they need access to the 5 cloned web servers for just 24 hours then to blow them away.

All 5 servers would need separate ip addresses and would like them in one separate vlan different to the prod master web server. So no problem I thought I will just use Veeam Replication and create 5 replication job for the same source VM, I would replicate every 24 hours to keep the target servers updated with the changes, the jobs will be configured to re-ip the target servers and place them in different portgroups, however because I will be running 5 replication jobs against a single source VM, would that stuff up CBT, Change Block Tracking ?
nicko82
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Nicholas Mangraviti

Re: Two Veeam B&R servers, one source VM

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:12 am

Not at all, CBT is stored on per-job basis, so no issues with that. Also since you need to separate these VMs from the production network, I would recommend leveraging SureBackup functionality that would do everything for you.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] Two separate Veeam Jobs backing up one Vmware host

Veeam Logoby itlad » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:48 am

Hi all

Just looking for some advice on my scenario as set out below;

We have acquired a remote office with one VmWare host with a couple of VM's on it. For reasons I won't go right now there is no backup tape drive on-site and no plans to buy one. Instead I am implementing a cost effective backup solution using Veeam Std edition.

There was a weekly Veeam backup to USBHDD job every friday night but due to concerns about that USBHDD being out of the firesafe for the remainder of the weekend a second USBHDD has been sourced and now there's wednesday evening backup too, which goes in the firesafe and remains there all weekend. So in the worst case scenario of a fire, two days of data would be lost as opposed to everything.

Which brings me to my question; Is there any problem having two separate Veeam jobs backing up the same VM's on the one host.
So on a Wednesday night we take a Veeam (incremental with synthetic full) backup to disk of VM1 and VM2 on the host.
And on Friday night we take another separate Veeam (incremental with synthetic full) backup to disk of VM1 and VM2 on the host.

CBT is enabled on the jobs - I understand CBT works a bit like archive bits and I'm wondering will the Friday job will only see CBT changes since wednesday and only backup those differences, making the backup chain corrupt\useless? And the same for the other job?

If this is a problem I'm looking for suggestions how else we might always keep at least one USBHDD with a recent backup in the firesafe?

Thanks in advance
itlad
itlad
Influencer

Re: Two Veeam B&R servers, one source VM, and CBT

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:08 pm 1 person likes this post

No reason to worry, CBT will work fine on both jobs, please see the thread above for details.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby itlad » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks foggy, this the just the answer I was hoping for
itlad
Influencer

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:44 pm

I keep thinking how to make the FAQ topic even more visible... no one reads one still :(
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

[MERGED] Will mutiple backups of vm harm CBT

Veeam Logoby Yanish » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Just wondering, If I backup a VM multiple time in different jobs will this in any way affect CBT?

For instance I want to backup my file server every evening with 30 restore points. (30 days)
I also want to backup the file server once a week with 12 restore points (3 months)
and i want to backup the file server throughout the day every 4 hours with with 42 restore points (1 week).

I know I can use backup copy aswell, this is just an example. The question is will this in any way badly affect CBT processing?
Is there any difference in this scenario between Hyper-V and VMware?
Gil Gross- Technical Lead G-Net Ltd
Yanish
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Gil Gross

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 pm

No negative effect in terms of CBT on either platform.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Gostev wrote:I keep thinking how to make the FAQ topic even more visible... no one reads one still :(

Once upon a time, the preferred reply on usenet channels was "RTFM". Ah, good old times :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby masonit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi

If I backup a vm from one vbr server and replicate the same vm from another vbr server at the same time. What will happen when the first job is done. WIll it then remove both Veeam Backup Temporary Snapshot on the vm?

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Magnus Andersson

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Magnus, as mentioned above, you need to make sure the jobs from different backup servers targeting the same VM don't overlap, as this can cause conflicts.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby masonit » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:56 am

foggy wrote:Magnus, as mentioned above, you need to make sure the jobs from different backup servers targeting the same VM don't overlap, as this can cause conflicts.

Just did a test.

First I started a backup job of vm1 from vbr1. While that job was running I started a replica job of vm1 from vbr2. When both jobs where running there was 2 veeam snapshots on vm1 in vmware.

Backup job finished first and removed only one of the 2 snapshots. I verified with timestamps on snapshots that the backup job removed the correct snapshot. Backup job finished successful. When the replica job finished the last snatshot on vm1 was removed. Replica job finished also with success.

Only error I saw was when backup job finished. Veeam then saw that there was multiple snapshots on vm1 and tried to consolidate. But the consolidate failed with:

2016-01-05 10:01:44 Error Performing disk consolidation: VM1 on vcenter
2016-01-05 10:01:43 Performing soft consolidation failed: Disks consolidation failed for VM vm-31300: Unable to access file since it is locked
2016-01-05 10:01:46 Error Job finished with error at 2016-01-05 10:01:45

From my testing it seems like it would work even if backup job and replica jo would collide. Atleast the backup job and replica job will end up successful.

I will go ahead and run backup job and replica job of the same vm from 2 different vbr servers. But I won't take any risk and still specify fixed backup windows for backup and replica job so they don't collide.

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Magnus Andersson

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:26 am

I admit, in some configurations this can work fine, however still recommend to keep backup windows separate. There's no specific logic for handling such situations in Veeam B&R. Potential issues lie in using hotadd, for example, when one job might be confused by the the disks created by another one.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:56 am

Another potential issue to keep in mind is VSS process inside the guest OS. If you enable AAIP in both jobs, then overlapping is highly not desired.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] How to setup DR site with slow link in between?

Veeam Logoby pverburg » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:54 am

Hi,

I have been following this forum for over 6 months now and can't find a definitive answer for the best configuration for my setup.
Just upgraded to Veeam Backup & Replication Version 9.

production:
is V sphere 2 hosts 20 VM's 10TB of data. physical backup server with tape unit and separate proxy/WANaccelerator.

DRsite Cold standby.
is V sphere 3 hosts physical storage server physical backup server/proxy/WANaccelerator.
slow link 10MB by VPN between production and DR
to keep the traffic down I have the DR Veeam server to pull and replicate the VMS from production once synced that works only done some testsing.

Now I just realized that the main backup server is unaware of the "otherserver" and that the changed block system might get confused as did they change after backup one or replicated 2 ??

I'm sure that im not alone with this kind of setup ???

Can someone please guide me to the best solution.

Thanks,
Paul V.
pverburg
Novice

Full Name: Paul Verburg

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere