Two Veeam B&R servers, one source VM, and CBT

VMware specific discussions

Two Veeam B&R servers, one source VM, and CBT

Veeam Logoby jimmymc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi

I have a physical Veeam B&R server (running v6 patch 3) doing backups to local storage, but I'd also like to get replication going to a different site. For the replication side of things, I'd like to create a VM with Veeam B&R on it and have that do the replication. Eventually I'll move backups to this VM as well (the vSphere 5 ESXi hosts have more horsepower than the current backup server).

Long story short - what I'd like to know, is will I have issues with CBT etc., when using two different Veeam B&R servers running jobs against the same VMs? Try as I might, can't find much info about CBT and multiple backup servers - either on the forums or the VMware Community.. (cue a string of replies with searches I missed)..

Cheers, James
jimmymc
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times

Re: Two Veeam B&R servers, one source VM

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Why do you want to use two separate Veeam Servers? You only need to install a Veeam proxy on the remote site and use it as a target for Replication jobs, while you can use the Veeam backup itself as a local proxy for the Backup jobs.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1377 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:07 pm

jimmymc wrote:Long story short - what I'd like to know, is will I have issues with CBT etc., when using two different Veeam B&R servers running jobs against the same VMs?

This is covered in our sticky F.A.Q., please review: VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

As to your configuration setup I would agree with Luca, you do not need additional backup server, just deploy a backup proxy to run replication jobs to the DR site.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1144 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby jimmymc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 pm

I did say it was a long story short.. I'm migrating the backups from a physical server to a VM, and rationalising them as I go - hence the want for two backup servers on a temporary basis until they're all over.

Thanks for that Vitaliy.. appreciated. I've read the FAQ more times than I care to mention.. how I missed that I don't know..
jimmymc
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times

[MERGED] Backing up the same VMs with Multiple Instances of

Veeam Logoby MIDAC » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:46 am

A client asked me this today and I wasn't sure what the answer was...

The client was wondering if he could run two installations of Veeam B&R and have them back up the same servers (mix of VMware & Hyper-V). Basically there would be two time windows to ensure both Veeam installations won't overlap to try to back up the same host at the same time.

My concern is related to changed block tracking (which we want turned on as speed is greatly improved)... if one Veeam backs up a VM daily at 8pm and then another Veeam backs up that same VM daily at 8am, will each Veeam capture all changes since it last backed up that VM (24 hours ago), or will it only capture changes since the VM was last backed up (12 hours ago)?

My client is happy to purchase a second Veeam license if I can assure him that the above will not mess up either backups, and that he will have two sets of perfect backups.

Thanks for your input!
Mike
MIDAC
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Backing up the same VMs with Multiple Instances of Veeam

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 am

MIDAC wrote:Basically there would be two time windows to ensure both Veeam installations won't overlap to try to back up the same host at the same time.

Make sure they really don't overlap as this would cause conflicts. As for CBT, it will work fine in this scenario.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backing up the same VMs with Multiple Instances of Veeam

Veeam Logoby MIDAC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:50 pm

foggy wrote:Make sure they really don't overlap as this would cause conflicts. As for CBT, it will work fine in this scenario.

Cool thanks for confirming about CBT and sorry for the late reply.. I could not find my original post.. it said "The requested topic does not exist." Looks like someone merged my post with this one without notifying me.. :roll:
MIDAC
Novice

[MERGED] CBT - two jobs backing up the same servers

Veeam Logoby Tijz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:35 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if I ran into trouble when I configure two jobs, both using different repositories, but both backing up the same VM using CBT.

Both jobs will run on the same night.

Will the first job "reset" CBT so the second job cannot use it? Or how else would this work? Can someone explain a bit how CBT would work in this situation?

thanks!
Tijz
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mattijs Duivenvoorden

[MERGED] : Two Seperate Backup Jobs and CBT

Veeam Logoby evander » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 am

Hi - I have a question that is probably a stupid question but is nagging at the back of my head and I would like some clarity please.
I am currently running two seperate backup jobs, Job1 is to local SAN and Job2 is to remote DR SAN (LAN speed)

They both run at different times each night.

As the backups only backup the changes that have been made, will job2 backup only changes since Job1 has run or since the last Job2 the previous evening?

I guess I am worried that the two different backup jobs, of the same VMs, will interfere with eachother, especially when it comes to knowing what has changed since the last backup.
Like I said stupid question, I'm sure but....
evander
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times

Veeam Logoby evander » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks for the merge and the related info.
evander
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] Two repos + Incremental backups and Changed Block T

Veeam Logoby imarie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:52 pm

What is the best practice when creating two jobs for the same VM, going to different repositories?

- I have two repositories. One on site, and one off site.
- I want to backup on site every day, but off site every weekend.

Will Veeam take this into account regarding Incremental backups and Changed Block Tracking, or do I risk backup corruption with CBT between the on site and off site backups?
imarie
Lurker

Full Name: imarie

Re: Two repos + Incremental backups and Changed Block Tracki

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello Imarie,

There are no issues in targeting two jobs to the same VM. See this topic for more info: VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1144 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Two repos + Incremental backups and Changed Block Tracki

Veeam Logoby imarie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:44 am

Great, thanks! :-)
imarie
Lurker

Full Name: imarie

[MERGED] Multiple backup jobs of the same VM

Veeam Logoby Nikolay » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 am

Hi,

We have several Veeam installations (for vSphere and Hyper-V) and in some cases we have backup jobs and replica jobs for the same virtual machines. As I understand for both hypervisors Veeam uses CBT mechanism to calculate the increment since the last run. My question is: do these multiple jobs affect each other from the CBT point of view? As far as I understand there is only one CBT file per VM which is stored on the same datastore as all other VM files. And if I add another (second) backup job (to the separate backup repository) for the VM that already has one backup job and one replica job with different non-overlapping schedules will it affect somehow my existing backup and replica jobs since it will use the same CBT info?

Thanks in advance!
Nikolay
Nikolay
Influencer

Full Name: Nikolay Evdokimov

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 am

Nikolay, no issues with that, please review this topic for details.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Next

Return to VMware vSphere