Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jsiva777
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: siva lakshmaiah jakkula

unable to meet data placement policy

Post by jsiva777 »

Hi,

This is my first post, Please excuse if any mistakes.

I am currently using veeam B&R 9.5 and below are my configuration details.

Using Scale-out backup repository "Scale-out backup repository 1" and it is having two extents (Backup Repository 1, Backup Repository 2) each having 16 TB. Data placement policy is "Performance" and allowed backups are "All backups".

Things all are good upto last week but after 26th-27th Feb, many backup jobs are only using "Backup Repository 2" (free space : 700 GB) only eventhough repository 1 is having more free space (6 TB). Below is the warning message recorded yeasterday.
Using Backup Repository 2 scale-out repository extent (unable to meet data placement policy)

Today all the backup jobs failed with below error message eventhough repository 1 is having 6.1 TB free space now.
Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No scale-out repository extents have sufficient disk space to store the backup file

Raised a case (#02088898) with support team, but they are suggesting below steps
1)change the data placement policy and use one extent for full backups and other one is for incremental backups. or
2)Move the data from one extent(Repository 2) to another extent (Repository 1). or
3)Increase the Repository 2.

Yeah, these steps seems ok but my question is all the backups are running smoothly all these days and we are facing problem from last one week onwards.

When i suggested the engineer to take logs and analyze the root cause, he simply rejected it saying it is not possible to find the root cause and best solution is to follow one of the above suggestions.

As of now, I can't follow these steps as we have to again change the policy or extend the repository (why need to increase one repository when other repository is having free space.).

Please help me on this guys.

Thanks,
Siva Jakkula
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: unable to meet data placement policy

Post by foggy »

jsiva777 wrote:When i suggested the engineer to take logs and analyze the root cause, he simply rejected it saying it is not possible to find the root cause and best solution is to follow one of the above suggestions.
That's not the correct response from our engineer, indeed. Please ask for the case escalation and use the 'Talk to a manager' option in case you feel the case is not handled properly.