Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
j_vid
Novice
Liked: never

Unable to see vRDMs

Post by j_vid »

So, I have a VM with two regular disks totaling about 60GB, and then 3 virtual mode RDMs at 900 GB each, mapping back to LUNs on my FC SAN. When I go to set up either a backup or a replication job, it does not see the vRDMs at all on the VM at all, only the two "local" virtual disks. One idea I had with support was that the datastore where the vRDM stub VMDK files were located on was still a VMFS-3 volume and maybe Veeam didn't like that the RDM's size was bigger than the VFMS volume's file size limit. So, I upgraded the volume to VMFS-5. Still can't see these vRDMs.

I sent my logs into support this morning, but I thought I would try here as well to see if anyone else has come across this.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Unable to see vRDMs

Post by veremin »

May I ask you to confirm where these disks can’t be seen?

Are you probably referring to this page?

If so, you should know that, by default, the top screen shows that all disks are going to be backed up.

The bottom part of screen does apply only if the "Selected disks" option is enabled. So, in case of “all disks” being selected, you shouldn’t take the bottom portion into account, it’s not representation of the actual disks.

Or the aforesaid disks aren’t backuped or replicated during jobs?

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
j_vid
Novice

Post by j_vid »

I was mainly going by the "Size" listed when the VM is selected for backup or replication. Does that field only show the size of the local disks? Does that mean even though it's not calculating the size of the VM including the vRDMs, it would still back them up?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what the difference is between size reported by VMware and size that might be seen in VB&R console?

If the difference is approximately equal to size of your vRDMs, it might be just a UI glitch.

Anyway, let me check it with our QC and report back.

Thanks.
j_vid
Novice

Post by j_vid »

The VI client reports the total size of the VM as 2.70TB. The VB&R console shows the size as 67GB, which is roughly the combined size of the two local disks, and the vSwap file.
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

This is pretty normal for the vRDM to not be calculated. The way calculation is done is very odd and is reported by VMware at some level. Weird quirks like this happen if you exclude a disk also, it still reports a specific size for a VM.

Have you tried just running a backup? Just because Veeam doesn't see it in that one screen doesn't mean it won't back it up. Also, if you look at the include/exclude type window , the two boxes checked for SCSI 0/1 are default (So veeam will most likely back up your disks). I recommend just trying the job and then opening up FLR or VMDK disk restore just to see if those disks are shown. Or look at your backup size :)
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.