Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Understanding VUL licensing

Post by tom11011 »

Hello all, I was just reviewing Veeam's new license model called VUL. https://www.veeam.com/hybrid-future.html

We are looking to replace one of our esx servers which has gone end of life. I started looking at vmware and veeam licensing to see how many cores I could purchase in this new server without triggering the need to purchase another socket for either.

For vmware, it seems simple enough, they will allow up to 32 cores per socket for version 7 and 8.

Veeam is a little different. Since I am not adding any new sockets, I should be able to stick to my veeam per socket license without regard to how many cores I have in the socket from what I can see? But more importantly, I am trying to figure out if there is any reason not to switch my 20 sockets right now to Veeam's newest license VUL? I know the moment I need to go beyond 20 I will have to.

Thanks for any insights on this.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Understanding VUL licensing

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tom

For just replacing a esxi host you don‘t need to add new socket licenses in Veeam. Make sure no VMs are running anymore on the old ESXi host, then revoke the veeam license:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

The first time the backup job protects VMs running on the new host, the revoked license gets assigned to the new host.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by tom11011 »

What does the new VUL license count?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

I‘m very sorry. I overlooked that part.
But more importantly, I am trying to figure out if there is any reason not to switch my 20 sockets right now to Veeam's newest license VUL? I know the moment I need to go beyond 20 I will have to.
VUL will bring you additional capabilities such as using our enterprise plugins to protect your Oracle, MSSQL, SAP applications or protecting physical, cloud and Fileshare workloads. VUL comes with all available Features of Veeam Backup & Replication (Enterprise Plus). You don‘t have to care about upgrading your license to a higher edition if we release a new version of Veeam Backup & Replication.

If you want to know more about the migration cost or other benefits, you should contact your veeam sales rep or veeam reseller. They will be able to make you a migration offer.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software