Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
nev
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nikolay Evdokimov

Re: Upgrade from vSphere 5.5

Post by nev » Nov 22, 2018 4:34 pm

OK, Perfect. I carefully read the link.
And my last question: what are drawbacks for pure fully patched 6.7 version? Not 6.7 U1. It looks like it is also quite stable.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1481 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Nov 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Yes, it is fully supported and looks pretty stable.

nev
Novice

Post by nev » Nov 28, 2018 1:11 pm

The problem is that it looks like there is no more vcenter distributive available for pure 6.7 from vmware account - only 6.7U1.
Can you please tell me, in the Veeam supported versions matrix do the versions of vsphere relate only to ESXi or to vcenter code as well?

DGrinev
Veeam Software
Liked: 184 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » Nov 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi Nikolay,

There is a known issue appears with the vCenter 6.7 U1, but fortunately we have a hotfix.
You will find the description and the hotfix in the first post by Gostev, also review the whole discussion for additional information. Thanks!

nev
Novice

Post by nev » Nov 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for the info, but according to the Veeam support matrix, previously mentioned by your colleague, vSphere v 6.7U1 is officially unsupported :
https://www.veeam.com/kb2443

So in this connection my question was: if my hosts' ESXi version will be 6.7GA with the latest patch and vCenter will be 6.1U1 (which is the only version of vCenter officially available at the moment in the 6.7 version branch as far as I understand) will it mean that my configuration will be officially unsupported? In other words: does vCenter version also counts in support requirements in this Veeam matrix or only ESXi version does? This question was mentioned in the discussion you sent but still was not fully answered as I see.

So what good of this workaround if the target version will be still officially unsupported? I think it is for those cases when people are forced for some reason to use latest vSphere versions but still want to maintain their Veeam backups without issues. In my case I can use any version 6.x but just want to understand which is the most stable at the moment.

DGrinev
Veeam Software
Liked: 184 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » Nov 28, 2018 3:50 pm

That's correct, vSphere 6.7U1 is officially unsupported in the current version of Veeam B&R.
The official support is coming in our next Veeam B&R Update 4.

The most stable version at the moment was mentioned in this thread earlier and that is 6.5 Update 1. Thanks!

Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

[MERGED] Backup Infrastructure after HOST upgrade V5.5 V6.5

Post by Alan_ORiordan » Jan 31, 2019 11:57 am

Apologies for this noob question:

I have never upgraded a VMware host version before. I plan to upgrade from V5.5 to V6.5 on standalone hosts from the command line. After doing this, when first opening Veeam on each backup server will it simply detect the change and update components or is there a missing step which may stop the backup and replication jobs starting back from where they left off.

Thanks

Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 771 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » Jan 31, 2019 1:01 pm 1 person likes this post

Hello Alan,

I've merged your post to existing thread. To cut the long story short: that should work without any issues. Cheers!