Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gh0stwalker
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan Snape

Upgrade Path- v4 to v6

Post by gh0stwalker »

We are about to upgrade from vSphere4.0 to vSphere5.0. We are currently running Veeam Backup and Replication V4.1.2 and I have two questions:

1. I can't find anything written definitively, but I assume that Veeam Backup and Replication 4.1.2 won't support vSphere 5. Is this a valid assumption?

2. We'd like to upgrade Veeam Backup and Replication to the latest version. From what I've found I assume I need to upgrade to version 5.2 first then upgrade to version 6. What do I need to do to get this version and the license files associated with it during this part of the upgrade process?

Thanks for your assistance.
Dan
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Upgrade Path- v4 to v6

Post by Gostev »

gh0stwalker wrote:1. I can't find anything written definitively, but I assume that Veeam Backup and Replication 4.1.2 won't support vSphere 5. Is this a valid assumption
Yes, see versions sticky topic in the main forum.
gh0stwalker wrote:2. We'd like to upgrade Veeam Backup and Replication to the latest version. From what I've found I assume I need to upgrade to version 5.2 first then upgrade to version 6. What do I need to do to get this version and the license files associated with it during this part of the upgrade process?
That is correct. Please open a support case, and they will provide you with license keys, required redistributables, as well as guide you through the process. It is a pretty complex procedure due to v4 involved, so I would rather recommend clean install if that is an option.
gh0stwalker
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan Snape

Post by gh0stwalker »

Thanks Gostev.

A clean install is an option, but we'd like to keep our previous backups. Will this be possible with a clean install?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Post by Gostev »

You will be able to import them into the new install, should you need to restore from them.