Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Upgrade preparation to 6.5

Post by 1-0-1 »

So we currently planning to upgrade to B&R 6.5 from our B&R 5.0. However there are a couple of issue I have noticed over the last couple of months. We have currently a Exchange 2007 CCR cluster and notice when we backup the quorum holder server or active CCR node, CCR begins a failover. I suspect that it has to do with the snapshot creation. Is this normal or what did other people notice in this regard?

Does the new VEEAM Explorer for Microsoft Exchange work with Exchange 2007 CCR? I presume it would know to restore the mailbox items to the active node? Are there any consideration in this regard?

How is the backup and replication performance across WAN links (in my case a 10Mbps long range wireless connection) when the B&R 6.5 server is pulling the backups/replication across the WAN link?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Upgrade preparation to 6.5

Post by foggy »

1-0-1 wrote:So we currently planning to upgrade to B&R 6.5 from our B&R 5.0. However there are a couple of issue I have noticed over the last couple of months. We have currently a Exchange 2007 CCR cluster and notice when we backup the quorum holder server or active CCR node, CCR begins a failover. I suspect that it has to do with the snapshot creation. Is this normal or what did other people notice in this regard?
I assume this could be well explained by snapshot creation. Anyway, to make it clear, you can reproduce this by creating snapshot manually using vSphere client.
1-0-1 wrote:Does the new VEEAM Explorer for Microsoft Exchange work with Exchange 2007 CCR? I presume it would know to restore the mailbox items to the active node? Are there any consideration in this regard?
Veeam Explorer for Exchange only works with Exchange 2010 and does not support previous Exchange versions.
1-0-1 wrote:How is the backup and replication performance across WAN links (in my case a 10Mbps long range wireless connection) when the B&R 6.5 server is pulling the backups/replication across the WAN link?
You can search this forum for plenty of existing topics regarding optimization of backup and replication over WAN. The main considerations are to have proxy servers set up in both locations for replication jobs and enable compression and select WAN target option for the backup jobs.
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Post by 1-0-1 »

Thanks - and yes I have reproduced the CCR failover by doing a normal snapshot through the vShpere Client. For that reasons we doing application based backups but would obviously roll this into our VEEAM backups.

Also I am going to upgrade from vShpere 4.1 to vShpere 5.0 in the next couple of months. Is there any special consideration to make aside of couse name changing in regards to datastores and ESXi hosts.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

A couple of links worth reading while planning upgrade to vSphere5:
Broken CBT Issue after vSphere 5 Upgrade
VMware support KB article