Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Upgrading from v8 to v9

Post by pshute »

We've been running v8.0.0.2084 for a few months now. I assume I should upgrade it to v9 in order to keep it up to date, whether or not there are new features we need. Is there anything we need to know before I try it? The requirements look similar for v8 and v9. Is it just a matter of downloading and installing? Will our current jobs continue to work as before, or will they need some attention? Will I need to do anything about the licence, or will it know it's licensed?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Upgrading from v8 to v9

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it's a simple in-place upgrade and everything will continue to work as before.
You will need to get the v9 license from the License Portal before you start though.
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus »

I was just about to post regarding upgrading from v8 to v9, apologies for hijacking your thread! :-)

I am preparing to upgrade our VBR installation from version 8 update 3, to version 9.

We use a virtual VBR server, with virtual Veeam Proxy servers that are connected to a Dell DR6000 dedupe appliance.

After I upgrade VBR to version 9, I plan to enable:

-Bitlooker feature
- Per-VM backup files

We are using Forever Forward Incremental backups.

My question is: Do I need to perform an active full for each backup job after enabling the above features? Or can I just let the backups run as per normal in their Forever Forward incremental jobs?

Thanks
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

btmaus wrote:I was just about to post regarding upgrading from v8 to v9, apologies for hijacking your thread! :-)
No worries, I'm keen to hear of any problems you have.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

I assume there are previous threads about the same thing, but you can't search for short strings like "v9" in phpBB. If anyone knows of any useful threads, please post links here.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

There's Google search in the top right corner of every forum page that does not have this issue.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

Gostev wrote:There's Google search in the top right corner of every forum page that does not have this issue.
Thanks. I didn't see that, it should be very useful.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

btmaus wrote:My question is: Do I need to perform an active full for each backup job after enabling the above features? Or can I just let the backups run as per normal in their Forever Forward incremental jobs?
Yes, you do need to perform active full for the per-VM backup chains setting to take effect.