Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
ober72
Service Provider
Liked: 46 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Re: Use old Job backup file as seed for new job

Post by ober72 » May 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Sorry might have missed this, but what if I want to change a job to a per-vm job. If I create a new job in a repository that is per-vm then map the new job to the old job will it then in the new job be a per-vm vbk job.

I am having issues with a very long merge after a job.

thanks
Geoff Burke
Veeam Certified Architect

ober72
Service Provider

Post by ober72 » May 25, 2016 8:15 pm

one other question if you seed from a job that was created in Veeam 8 with no bitlooker will the new job use the bitlooker for the whole vm? My understanding is that If you turn on the bitlooker on a job that was created in Veeam 8 that was just upgraded it would need to do a new full backup to avoid the dirty bits.
Geoff Burke

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1380 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » May 26, 2016 12:56 pm

ober72 wrote:Sorry might have missed this, but what if I want to change a job to a per-vm job. If I create a new job in a repository that is per-vm then map the new job to the old job will it then in the new job be a per-vm vbk job.
Do you mean copying the old single full backup chain to the repository configured for per-VM chains and then mapping the new job to it? It will continue as not per-VM until the next active full.
ober72 wrote:one other question if you seed from a job that was created in Veeam 8 with no bitlooker will the new job use the bitlooker for the whole vm? My understanding is that If you turn on the bitlooker on a job that was created in Veeam 8 that was just upgraded it would need to do a new full backup to avoid the dirty bits.
For BitLooker it doesn't matter what do you have in existing backup files. When you enable BitLooker on a job, it will do its job during the next cycles, however, only for data copied within the particular job run. So if you want it to process the entire VM, you need to perform an active full.

ober72
Service Provider

Post by ober72 » May 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks Alexander that answers both my questions.
Geoff Burke

nrexpress
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by nrexpress » Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm

foggy wrote:You can map the new job just to a single backup chain, so VMs from other jobs will be fully backed up during the first job run after mapping.

If you want to get a single combined VBK file containing all the VMs from the three jobs, you can create a backup copy job to merge those three backup jobs into a single VBK and then use that file to seed the new combined backup job.
I know this is an older message, but I am wanting to do what is in this message -- I want to get a single VBK file containing multiple VM's to see a new combined backup job. How do I do that? Whenever I use the "map backup" (on the storage tab of the backup job), it only allows me to select only from existing backups, not from existing backup copy jobs.

PTide
Veeam Software
Liked: 365 times

Post by PTide » Jul 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi,

This is by design. It is not possible to map a backup job to a backup copy job chain since U3.

Thanks