Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
StefanRaaijmakers
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan

User awareness of Veeam being active?

Post by StefanRaaijmakers »

Hello,

Normally users of Windows systems are not aware that Veeam B&R is doing it's jobs, like making backups en doing replications.

Now I'm wondering if we should warn users not to reboot VM's or stop VM's while Veeam jobs are in progress.

What would happen when "enable application aware processing" is active and before the replication job is finished the VM is powered-off? I'm afraid that VM's or replication, is going to be corrupted or get an invalid snapshot configuration. Is that possible?

Or should users not have to reckon with Veeam being active in the background? So user awareness is not necessary at all?

Would the same apply to Veeam Backup Essentials (we might start to use this for also backing up physical systems)

Thanks for the answer!

Best regards,

Stefan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: User awareness of Veeam being active?

Post by foggy »

Hi Stefan, basically, VM reboot doesn't affect the backup/replication process. It doesn't matter what is happening inside the VM after the snapshot is created, since all the data is already prepared for backup and is being read from the snapshot. A good practice though is to schedule backups at the time when VMs are not heavily used (at night, for example), to eliminate the effect of snapshot commit after the backup, but this mostly relates to big high-transactional systems. Here's a bit more on the similar question.
StefanRaaijmakers
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan

Re: User awareness of Veeam being active?

Post by StefanRaaijmakers »

Hi,

I have read about the coincidences, and that it normally should not affect the backup/replication proces. But I can't help still feel a bit worried that things might be happening at the same time and "things" get out of pace.

So I will make the users aware of Veeam being active and schedule backups in the middle of the night. This is harder with replications (taking place every 30 mins). Can set the period longer to minimize the chance of things going wrong.

Thanks for the information!

Stefan