Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mbrowngcs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Brown

Using Quick Migration ILO vMotion on Old vSphere Server without vMotion

Post by mbrowngcs »

So we have a couple older VMWare instances which collectively contain our phone system. It's two vSphere servers, which contain individual VMs for each of the phone system servers.

We also have a larger VMWare instance which is much newer and contains several other VMs for the rest of our infrastructure. The goal is to get the VMs for the phone system moved to the new VMWare instance. However, the old instance lacks vMotion, which would normally make this quick and theoretically painless.

The question: can we use Quick Migration within Veeam to do the migration in place of vMotion? Hopefully live and with as little noticeable downtime on the system as possible. What I have read indicates that it should be possible, but I am still learning the full depth of Veeam and its functionality, so I was hoping to get some clarification from those with more experience.

Thanks,
Matt
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Using Quick Migration ILO vMotion on Old vSphere Server without vMotion

Post by PetrM »

Hi Matt,

If vMotion is not available, Veeam will use its own proprietary technology but in this case a VM will be stopped or suspended depending on migration mode whether it is SmartSwitch or ColdMigration. Also, you can consider replication and planned failover to migrate workloads as replication does not stop or suspend the source VM.

Thanks!