Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
merklit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Maximilian Merkl

Using Veeam Replication with VMware vCloud Director

Post by merklit »

Hello Veeam-Team,

could you please assist me with the following issue:

We provide infrastructure services to our customers based on VMware vCloud Director.

We are thinking about adding asdditional services using Veeam B&R - for backup, the solution works with a vDC for our customer where we can deploy the proxy and repository.

But: If our customers want to replicate VMs between their VMware private cloud and our vcloud solution, we would have to grant access to the VMware Virtual Center for a VM registration to the hypervisor.
Due to security reasons, this access is not possible.

Is there any chance that we can replicate VMs between 2 separate VMware infrastructures (vSphere & vCloud or vCloud & vCloud) without Veeam having access to the VC.
Zerto is able to do a replication without this permission. From VMware perspective, this should be possible.

Thank you for your Support.

Best regards

Maximilian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Using Veeam Replication with VMware vCloud Director

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Maximilian,

Access to either vCenter Server or target ESXi host is required for replication jobs, there is no way to bypass this. If you're concerned about security/permissions issue, then I would suggest using granular permissions for the connection accounts of your clients.

See this document for further info > http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_7_0_p ... ons_pg.pdf

P.S. as far as I remember you can still replicate VMs to your datacenter without allowing replication jobs to register VMs in the VI, these jobs will have just a warning state because of that.

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, replication jobs are supported between vSphere hosts. Neither vSphere to vCloud, nor vCloud to vCloud scenario is possible. Thanks.
jgreenback
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Greenback

Post by jgreenback »

@ v.Eremin / Vitaliy S.
I know this is an old thread but just wondering if this is available in V8? vApp Replication from one vCloud Director to another.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jason, No, replication between vCloud Director instances is not supported yet.
onthax
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] : Feature REquest - vCloud to vCloud replication

Post by onthax »

Hi Veeam,

I've had a chat with your support who said to post here.

Chasing a new feature in veeam B&R
vCloud to vCloud replication for replicating vApps between vCloud Director Cells.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, there is no such functionality, but thank you for sharing your thoughts; much appreciated.
jgreenback
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Greenback

Post by jgreenback » 2 people like this post

@onthax
In my recent testing using Veeam I've found that the easiest way to achieve vCloud to vCloud vApp replication is to use a "backup copy job" and target the vApp(s) you wish to "replicate". Then, on the other side, import the backup file into that sites Veeam server and run a vCloud vApp restore into vCloud Director. The wizard is great when it comes to customizing the vApp when it lands (name, network config, etc.)
I've found this to be more efficient and much more reliable than vCloud Connector and OVF export/Import. If you use Veeams' WAN accelerator feature (currently testing with it now, going from California (source vCD site) to Eupore and India (target vCD sites)) you should be able to optimize the amount of data going over the WAN increasing the efficiency of the process.
PM me if anyone wants more information.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Really interesting workaround, thanks for sharing Jason.
I'm also interested in the performances you will get with the wan accelerated backup copy jobs, if you don't mind sharing them here or via pm/email. Are you already on v8?

Thanks,
Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1