Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
daphnis
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Using Veeam to migrate between DataDomain - CIFS to DD Boost

Post by daphnis »

Having an interesting case here and wondering if others have done this.

Need to move all jobs and their data from one DataDomain unit (all jobs configured as a CIFS repository) and move to another DD unit (using DD Boost repository). DataDomain cannot copy from CIFS to Boost, so was wondering if I can use Veeam to do this. One thought was to configure a backup copy job after configuring the new unit as a Boost repo., and do a job-by-job copy of all data to the new location. Afterwards, re-point the job to the new repository. What makes this a little more sticky is the jobs use 5-year retention on a GFS scheme, so all data must be copied to the new unit.

What are some options around this need?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Using Veeam to migrate between DataDomain - CIFS to DD B

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I believe that there is an article that might be helpful. Please have a look and let us know if it helped.

Thanks!
daphnis
Enthusiast

Post by daphnis »

Thanks, but that article doesn't address the issue of actually moving data from one physical DD unit to another.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

You need to move all backup jobs and their chains from an old repo (DD CIFS) to a new repo, which is DD Boost, correct?

You can use File Copy Job for that. First you'll need to create a new repo of your DD Boost, the article I gave a link to describes how to deal with migration from CIFS to Boost. After that you just wait until your file copy job copies everything from your old repo to your new repo, and map your existing jobs to a new repo.

Am I missing something?
daphnis
Enthusiast

Post by daphnis »

You need to move all backup jobs and their chains from an old repo (DD CIFS) to a new repo, which is DD Boost, correct?
Correct, but the old repo using DD CIFS is on one physical DD unit, and the new repo using DD Boost, is on a totally different unit.
You can use File Copy Job for that.
And how are you thinking you can use a File Copy job for this when the DD CIFS repo isn't mapped to the Veeam server, and the target DD Boost repo cannot be mapped through the OS? File Copy jobs will copy locally-accessible files on the source to a destination that must also be local (to that destination).

The article you provided, while useful, assumes that the physical source and destination are on the same DataDomain unit, and this is not my case.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Then, I believe, there is probably no way how you can get your chain to Boost.
You must have already seen the thread where folks share their experiences on that topic.
daphnis
Enthusiast

Post by daphnis »

Yes, I have seen that thread, but thanks for mentioning it.
viberts
Influencer
Liked: never

[MERGED] Transfert files backup from nas repositoy to data domain

Post by viberts »

Hi
I have add datadomain 6300 to my infrastructure and create ddboost:repository on this. But i want transfert the old backup files from a cifs repository to a ddbosst:repository.

How i can do that.

I read create a cifs partage on a ddboost:repositoy wasn't good option.

Thank you for your help
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Using Veeam to migrate between DataDomain - CIFS to DD Boost

Post by foggy »

Please review the thread above for possible options. Thanks!