Using VSAN in production?

VMware specific discussions

Re: Using VSAN in production?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:24 am

umenz wrote:I think Server Hardware with NVMe Cache is faster than "entry" SANs in the same pricing league.

I love VSAN as a technology.

However, I always felt it comes out too expensive due to high software licensing costs. The total price just did not seem right to me when it did not provide most of the features you can get from those entry-level SANs - most of which these days are just scaled-down version of their enterprise-class version, and thus are extremely feature-rich.

May be things have changed around VSAN licensing last time I looked though (when it first came out). But here is the thing - they changed in the SAN market too, where due to fierce competition you can now get entry-level all-flash SAN for under USD 20,000 (I am thinking HP 3PAR 8000 series, for example). It is some serious hardware with functionality VSAN cannot even dream about.

Can you share your pricing estimates for VSAN with NVMe Cache? What is the licensing like for 4 nodes, which is the absolute minimum for VSAN?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Veeam Logoby umenz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:45 pm

yes, vSAN for each node USD 2.500.. and should configured balanced. Oversized for my next project I think.

But my Intension was to Cache local storage in the same way as All-Flash Appliances do that.
- HP SmartCache is limited with 4GB RAM of the Controller, Needs RAID5 for the Flash to enable write cache...

so I am searching for a "smaller" solution and found Starwind as an option.
My opinon is that a level between Hardware and VMware can accelerate more than a controller can do ?

thanks
Ulrich
umenz
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Ulrich Menz

Veeam Logoby emachabert » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:27 pm 1 person likes this post

I don't get the raid 5 for flash opt using smartarray.
If you use hp smartcache, you simply build a raid1 with two ssd then you choose on which volume you wan't to enable smartcache (read/write). 4gb on the smart array is not mandatory and depends on the configuration and expected workload parterns.

You could also look at HP storevirtual VSA with SSD and SaS and enable auto tiering (adaptive optimization).
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Vanguard 2015,2016,2017
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 163 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Veeam Logoby atuzov » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Hello umenz,

StarWind Virtual SAN will definitely do the job for you.
StarWind has RAM and SSD server-side caching feature which will accelerate the performance between hardware and VMware.

As a nice bonus, Veeam is fitting perfectly to StarWind as proved by many Customers. Veeam was also selected by StarWind as a backup solution of choice for StarWind HyperConverged Appliance (HCA).

You can find more info here:
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-virtual-san
atuzov
Technology Partner

Full Name: Andrew Tuzov

Veeam Logoby atuzov » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:33 am

Umenz.
Also, i reckon the StarWind forums would be a good source of information as well. You will be able to get more answers to any StarWind related questions.
atuzov
Technology Partner

Full Name: Andrew Tuzov

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:45 am

Just a note regarding the VSAN and HP cache: the entire concept of vsan is to leverage single disks for capacity and SSD for caching, so why would you configure raid or caching at the controller level? All disks need to be added as single devices to the VSAN cluster, and the server will use all of them creating the desired level of protection.

I'd honestly look for a simple and good hba in the vmware hcl if I'd design a vsan cluster, with no raid at all.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1335 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby umenz » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:34 am

Hi Luca, starting the question was to use Hardware or Software to get more.
but a good hint when I use Software we need not Hardware RAID.
umenz
Enthusiast

Full Name: Ulrich Menz

Veeam Logoby zoltank » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:05 pm

After reading in the Veeam newsletter this past weekend about the precipitous decline in VMware support, I'm quite happy about our decision to stick with a traditional SAN for this refresh.
zoltank
Expert

Liked: 29 times

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere