UUID not unique in same vCenter

VMware specific discussions

UUID not unique in same vCenter

Veeam Logoby lc.escv » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 am

Veeam Backup and Replication creates replica with same UUID as the original VM. An UUID that is not unique in the same vCenter can generate issues with others systems, for example with Simplivity (the system identifies the VM with UUID, if 2 VM are with the same UUID, the system trigged « random » one or the other). It would be very appreciate, if the Veeam replica process could handle the UUID question. Perhaps the choice should be given to the administrator :

1) Creation of replica ; original UUID yes/no
2) Running of replica ; original UUID yes/no
3) Restore from replica ; original UUID yes/no

regards
lc.escv
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Laurent

Re: UUID not unique in same vCenter

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi Laurent, basically BIOS UUID is preserved since it is used by guest BIOS to identify the VM. Besides, many software applications are using it to verify licensing/configuration data, etc., so changing it during replication would result in issues upon failover. But thanks for the feedback anyway.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lc.escv » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Alexander, thank you for your reply. I understand what you mean and my question is more a request of a new feature in Veeam. It can be normal that the UUID from replica is the same as the original VM when it is running (on behalf of veeam server); but most of the time the replica is down. Simplivity has trouble with non unique UUID in same vCenter, sometime tasks are triggered on replica instead of the original VM. I saw that in hyper-V environment, the administrator can chose to restore a replica with same UUID or not; it was the reason that I decide to post this question/request. In our environment Simplivity, the non unique UUID is a problem.

Thank you in advance for your time, regards, Laurent
lc.escv
Novice

Veeam Logoby NightBird » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:06 pm

I think it's on the Simplivity side to change things, like use moref id instead of VM Bios UUID.
It's quite stupid to use UUID if in the same vcenter system you can have 2 VM with the same Bios UUID... moreover moref id is unique because generated by vcenter at the moment of the object (VM) registration.
NightBird
Service Provider

Liked: 20 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:08 pm 1 person likes this post

Yep, that's why Veeam B&R itself uses moref to track VMs.

Laurent, your request is accepted, just wanted to justify the current behavior for you.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby lc.escv » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 am

Hi Alexander,
I thank you for your understanding and for your open-mindedness. If you need some informations, please let me know.
Regards, Laurent
lc.escv
Novice

Return to VMware vSphere