Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Hanuta
Novice
Liked: 2 times

v12 hardened linux repos + vmware proxy in san mode

Post by Hanuta »

Hello,

I've setup some hardened immutable ubuntu repositories with veeam v12 and wanted to use them as vmware proxy in san mode. When starting the add-proxy-wizzard and selecting the hardened repositories i'm forced to switch to NBD mode. Is there any possibility to use hardened linux repositories as proxy server in SAN-Mode ? Or will this be possible in the near future ?

Are other transport modes then NBD breaking the security in this case ?

Regards
Hanuta
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: v12 hardened linux repos + vmware proxy in san mode

Post by PetrM »

Hi Hanuta,

No, it's not possible, for security reasons only Network mode is available for a proxy that has hardened repository role, more info here.

Thanks!
Hanuta
Novice

Post by Hanuta » 1 person likes this post

thx for the quick reply !

Regards
Hanuta
Novice

Post by Hanuta »

Hi again,

just another question for immutable backup repository designs. If there is an environment with a 1G production network & 8G FC SAN-Access, how to implement immutable repositories then ?

Backup data in this case is >50TB every day which was not a problem with a non-immutable backup repository with san-proxy role (using 8G SAN connections). Now if switching to immutable backup repositories this will prevent using the san-proxy role on the repository server. In NBD mode with 1G this 50TB will be a problem for sure.

Even if implementing another server with SAN access & san-proxy role, how to move the data then from proxy to immutable repository ?

Am i correct that the only useful option here would be to "upgrade" the network-infrastructure to 10G ?

Regards
Hanuta
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I think you can also deploy a new server with a SAN-proxy role. After that, select this proxy in the backup job settings: the source Data Mover running on this proxy will retrieve data from the production datastore over SAN and will send the compressed data to the Target Data Mover running on the hardened repository with enabled Immutability. The compression will allow you to reduce the amount of data to send from the source proxy to the repository, I suppose it will be less than 50 TB. More info about the basic backup job architecture can be found on this page.

Also, you can specify the preferred network to use between Data Movers if you have something faster than 1G.

Thanks!
Hanuta
Novice

Post by Hanuta » 1 person likes this post

Also, you can specify the preferred network to use between Data Movers if you have something faster than 1G.
thx, really appreciated!
Regards