Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
masonit
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Maso

Re: v6 "Cannot use CBT. Soap fault" ... fixed

Post by masonit »

What happens with the backup of the vm that you get the "Cannot use CBT. Soap fault error" on? It only looks like a warning. How does Veeam deal with the issue. Does it still produce a succesful backup of the vm even though it can't use cbt?

\Masonit
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Magnus, in this case successful backup is performed. The only difference is that our own algorithm is used to calculate the incremental changes (instead of getting them via CBT), which makes backup to take longer than usual as reading of the entire VM disks is required.
DavidReimers
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Reimers

Post by DavidReimers »

But how do you then recover from this warning?
In our case, the whole site had a power outage due to storm activity. 2 of the VMs wouldn't power on until I detached the disks which were hot-added to the Veeam server.

But all VMs not show the CBT warning / SOAP error due to the VM's VMDK file.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

David, the next job run should use CBT fine.
DavidReimers
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Reimers

Post by DavidReimers »

Foggy, you're correct. Exactly what happened. I did do a "recalculate" on each job, and it still needed a second pass to correct.
I was worried though as I found an earlier Veeam KB article that said VMs had to be powered off and a VMX file flag changed.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It was talking about manual CBT reset, which was not required in this case.
tuscani
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Justin Durrant

Post by tuscani »

Same issue here on one VM after a 4.1 host power loss.. Tried resetting CBT via KB1113 but that made no difference. Exact error below.. it appears the backup is still taking place though.. just not using CBT. Not sure what the ramifications without CBT are though.

Code: Select all

Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. A specified parameter was not correct. . deviceKeyDetail: '<InvalidArgumentFault xmlns="urn:internalvim25" xsi:type="InvalidArgument"><invalidProperty>deviceKey</invalidProperty></InvalidArgumentFault>', endpoint: ''
Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. A specified parameter was not correct. . deviceKeyDetail: '<InvalidArgumentFault xmlns="urn:internalvim25" xsi:type="InvalidArgument"><invalidProperty>deviceKey</invalidProperty></InvalidArgumentFault>', endpoint: ''
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Nothing negative except the longer job duration. How about subsequent job runs? Do they use CBT?
tuscani
Enthusiast
Full Name: Justin Durrant

Post by tuscani »

Nope.. job has run with the warning for three days now since resetting CBT
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Then it might be better to address this question (why CBT cannot be reset on this VM) to VMware tech team, as the steps that are mentioned in the KB should help.
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi,
A few days ago, we have a total powerloss @ our VM-Host.

First there was a warning like this: Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. Error caused by file /vmfs/volumes/<a long number with letters>/DC2/DC2.vmdkDetail:", endpoint."

My first action was to consult the KB: http://www.veeam.com/kb1113, which means that I have to shut down the VM and set the options of the VM-guest ctkEnabled to false and scsi0:0.ctkEnabled to false too.

Then restart/shutdown/restart the VM and make a Veeambackup.

This action did not solve my issue. So I took a look in die VMware-guest-options again and noticed that scsi0:0.ctkEnabled is still set to false.

I set this option to "true" again. After that I tried to take a fullbackup with Veeam, which works like a charm (and very fast again).

Daniel
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthew Vaughan

Post by mcvosi »

I just ran into this error as well, and went through the VM config to set CTK enabled to false. I also had to MANUALLY re-enable CTK on the VM -- maybe an issue with hardware v10?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matthew, I doubt that as I've seen that sometimes our customers had to do that manually as well, and they were running virtual hardware prior to v10.
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Post by pcrebe »

@macdaniel

Do you use NFS or iSCSI?
amatteo78
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matteo Abrile

Post by amatteo78 »

mcdaniels wrote:Hi,
A few days ago, we have a total powerloss @ our VM-Host.

First there was a warning like this: Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. Error caused by file /vmfs/volumes/<a long number with letters>/DC2/DC2.vmdkDetail:", endpoint."

My first action was to consult the KB: http://www.veeam.com/kb1113, which means that I have to shut down the VM and set the options of the VM-guest ctkEnabled to false and scsi0:0.ctkEnabled to false too.

Then restart/shutdown/restart the VM and make a Veeambackup.

This action did not solve my issue. So I took a look in die VMware-guest-options again and noticed that scsi0:0.ctkEnabled is still set to false.

I set this option to "true" again. After that I tried to take a fullbackup with Veeam, which works like a charm (and very fast again).

Daniel
Hello,

yesterday 1 hosts power off, and this night I receive this error on backup logs "Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. Error caused by file......."
need do somethings operation, or I can wait next backup session, I see that backup finish with warning and more longer....
Thanks

M.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Next backup should use CBT normally, however, in case it does not, you can manually set the option mentioned above to 'true' and see whether this helps.
FXE
Enthusiast

Post by FXE »

Hi all,

I've got this warning message when I do a snapshot of powered off VM in order to have the most consistent state : Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. Erreur provoqu�e par le fichier /vmfs/volumes/5374d1c4-7b3890ac-1c89-bc305be4f137/vm_name/vm_name.vmdkDetail: '', endpoint: ''.
For me the solution was : delete snapshot, go to Veeam job properties, in the list of VMs click "Recalculate", then click "Finish".

Hope this will help.
Have a good day.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I do a snapshot of powered off VM in order to have the most consistent state.
Some obsolete version of ESX(i) didn't provide proper CBT for powered off VMs. So, what's version you're using? Also, what operating systems are installed on top of those VMs? Wouldn't it be better to use either Application Aware Image Processing or VMware Quiescence, instead of shutting VMs down. Thanks.