Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
IT_Vision
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

v7 NIC Configuration

Post by IT_Vision »

Greetings,

Being my first go at Veeam I wanted to get some clarification on the proper NIC setup for the Backup Server, Proxy and Repository.

Each of these servers will be VMs and we have our iSCSI traffic on a separate vLAN. I am assuming I will configure these VMs with 2 NIC Adapters, one for production traffic and one for iSCSI traffic. My repository server will have LUNs connected to it via iSCSI initiator with in the OS and shared out.

Also, in regards to the proxy mode, Direct SAN access, I would use this mode since my proxy server is able to communicate directly with the SAN via the iSCSI NIC, correct?

Any clarification on this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: v7 NIC Configuration

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
IT_Vision wrote:Each of these servers will be VMs and we have our iSCSI traffic on a separate vLAN. I am assuming I will configure these VMs with 2 NIC Adapters, one for production traffic and one for iSCSI traffic. My repository server will have LUNs connected to it via iSCSI initiator with in the OS and shared out.
Repository servers with NFTS formatted LUNs connected via iSCSI is, indeed, one of the most widely used approaches.
IT_Vision wrote:Also, in regards to the proxy mode, Direct SAN access, I would use this mode since my proxy server is able to communicate directly with the SAN via the iSCSI NIC, correct?
Yes, to make you SAN mode is properly configured, please use the instructions from our sticky F.A.Q.

Thank you!
IT_Vision
Influencer

Post by IT_Vision »

Greetings,

Thank you for the response. I might not be understanding this correctly, but for direct SAN access, is it the proxy server that needs the direct access to the LUN where the VMs are stored or the repository server?

I setup my proxy server with the MS ISCSI Initiator and connected to the LUN where the VM is stored that I am attempting to backup. When I run the backup job and monitor the network connections on the proxy server I do not see any utilization of the iSCSI associated NIC. Only traffic on the LAN NIC.

The LUN is showing up under disk manager as offline and I have disabled the auto mount feature.

We have iSCSI traffic on a separate vlan.

Any clarification on this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It’s a proxy server, not a repository, that needs a direct access to a given storage, it also has to have access and read permission on VMFS LUNs (if applicable to your SAN). The reason might have also been that even though the LUNs were shown in the Windows Disk Management, the backup proxy couldn’t see them. So, it might be worth rescanning the storage and seeing whether it helps or not.

Anyway, you’ve successfully followed the steps mentioned in the sticky FAQ and still experience issues, kindly, open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly. Also, you might want to search the forum, using the key words “Direct SAN”, “issue”, “doesn’t work”.

Thanks.
IT_Vision
Influencer

Post by IT_Vision »

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I was able to get everything working with decent transfer rates. My issue was I needed to click on the Auto Configure option under the iSCSI initiator and the volume then appeared in the list. Once this was done, traffic started to appear on the NIC dedicated to the iSCSI traffic.

Thank you again for the response.

Cheers