I was able to run this issue to ground with support about a month ago. I've been a bit busy so I wasn't able to update this thread until now. It took a few email turns to get the required information from support, but in the end it was pretty easy to resolve. Note: I cross posted the below to another thread that dealt with about the same issue.
To enable the indexing of a vCenter 5.5 appliance I had to do the following:
1) I had to enable the proper ciphers for the sshd service on the vCenter appliance. On the vCenter server edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config search for the line Ciphers aes256-ctr,aes128-ctr and add aes128-cbc
make it Ciphers aes256-ctr,aes128-ctr,aes128-cbc
Save and exit your editor. Then restart the sshd service.
You can test the correct function with putty version v0.6
(the specific version is needed). Without the added ciphers line, putty 0.6 will fail to connect to the vCenter 5.5 appliance via ssh. Once you add the ciphers line putty 0.6 will work. FWIW, the current version of putty worked with either setting of the ciphers line.
2) You need to install the mlocate (locate) command. The vCenter appliance 5.5 is based on SLE 11 SP2. After a bit of google-fu I found the needed rpm here: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... x86_64.rpm
I used wget to pick up the file and rpm to install it. For vCenter 6.0 you will need to get the correct rpm for that OS, which I think is SLE 11 SP4 (but don't quote me).
I do have to say that indexing an appliance adds little value. It is an appliance, in that it should be all or nothing where you would hardly ever do a file level restore. I did want to drive this to conclusion since we have another OpenSuse appliance that is doing the same thing, AND we want to be able to do a file level restore. So the exercise was well worth the time it took.
Once those two steps are complete indexing worked just like other other centos hosts that worked right out of the box (though I did need to install mlocate on a few of the centos boxes too).