Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DRUMDUDESAN
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff

Re: vCenter recovery - using Veeam "NOT recommended"

Post by DRUMDUDESAN » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
There is much talk in this thread from the field that now concerns me.
My environment is vCenter 5.x on Windows 2008R2 running Microsoft SQL Server Standard Edition version 10.50.2500.0.

Is this thread correct and the proper way to restore vCenter in a DR scenario?
https://www.veeam.com/kb1913

If not what is Veeam's proper way to restore vCenter in a Windows environment?

Thanks
Jeff
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jeff, yes, recommendations in this KB are correct.
JMcClane
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rolf

[MERGED] vCenter 6.5 on Windows with vPostgres Restore

Post by JMcClane »

Hi,
this is my first posting here, but we are using Veeam for a couple of years now.

some weeks ago, we updated our VMware environment from ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5., which means, we also migrated our vCenter Server to 6.5.
With this release vCenter 6.5 uses vPostgres Database on Windows Servers as well.

Has anybody managed to create a consitent backup with this Version?
If I restore my vCenter Server, it will not work. If I try to access the webonterface I get this error, which points to a database error.

Code: Select all

503 Service Unavailable (Failed to connect to endpoint: [class Vmacore::Http::NamedPipeServiceSpec:0x00000030a93b5870] _serverNamespace = / action = Allow _pipeName =\\.\pipe\vmware-vpxd-webserver-pipe)
Is there a special trick I have to use during Backup of the vCenter VM, I do not know, to get a consistent and valid backup of this machine?

Kind regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Rolf, please review the thread above for some hints and feel free to contact technical support for a closer look.
ngreen
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Neil Green

Post by ngreen »

This thread is very confusing. With the latest VCSA 6.5 using embedded Postgres only, what is the recommended process?

We can perform a backup but it sounds like it won't be application consistent and might not recoverable. There's been some talk of using pre and post scripts, but no samples provided. I'm still not clear whether we can use Veeam at all for backup and recovery of VCSA 6.5 (using B&R 9.5 update 2) or have to use VMware's new method to export/import the config.

Given the importance of vCenter and VMware's push to getting everyone using VCSA, don't you think it deserves an up to date Veeam KB article with definitive instructions?
flaren
Veeam Software
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Alexander Lupashku

Post by flaren » 1 person likes this post

How to Backup vCenter Server Appliance KB has been published https://www.veeam.com/kb2328
VCSP SE Team
Pat490
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by Pat490 » 1 person likes this post

also VCSA 6.5 has included Backup function in VAMI interface. You can do it manually from VAMI web interface or script it to do it automatically.